Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Your address and some ready samples will help us to more rapidly assist you further.... that tri tip sounds great!! Good luck!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Come out to Southern California, understand it’s pretty cold where you live.

Oh man, that's a great part of the world to live in this time of the year.

Ah, it’s only been -30. But it’s a dry cold, so the humidity is low, and there hardly isn’t any mosquitoes at all.

Besides, ST says their smokers work fine at -40..... I have no first hand knowledge yet, but I have proved my 1400 at -25. The winter is long, so the experiments will continue...

Besides, when it’s 30 below for 3 days in a row, it’s too cold to snow, and when you get to +5, it feels so dang good!!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Ah, itís only been -30. But itís a dry cold, so the humidity is low, and there hardly isnít any mosquitoes at all.

Besides, ST says their smokers work fine at -40..... I have no first hand knowledge yet, but I have proved my 1400 at -25. The winter is long, so the experiments will continue...

Besides, when itís 30 below for 3 days in a row, itís too cold to snow, and when you get to +5, it feels so dang good!!!
    Wow, never been in the negative temperature before.

Question Bigwalleye, we have Hawaiian roots and we like making Kalua pork. We use TI leaves to wrap our pork shoulder, sprinkle them with Hawaian sea salt wrap it up and smoke it.

Now the key to this question, is it customary in the smoking world to put the shoulder in a drip pan during the smoking process, because we want to capture any fats that is rendered during this process and then added it back to pork once itís shredded.

Nellie

ia_james,

Yeah the weather this time of year is better than most part of the country but there’s a lot of things going south here.

Nellie

Nellie,
    I’ve never done the wrap thing, but I’ve several friends that have, and they do just fine. I generally do not use a drip pan unless I want to hold the juices. I tryically smoke meats with a dry rub, so it’s a totally different style. That’s really the cool thing about ST, it’s so adaptable for a lot of different styles,and smoking is a really wide umbrella. Lots of room underneath it!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Nellie,
    Iíve never done the wrap thing, but Iíve several friends that have, and they do just fine. I generally do not use a drip pan unless I want to hold the juices. I tryically smoke meats with a dry rub, so itís a totally different style. Thatís really the cool thing about ST, itís so adaptable for a lot of different styles,and smoking is a really wide umbrella. Lots of room underneath it!!
    Bigwalleye,

Thanks, I will show you pictures of it when I make it.

Nellie

Just recieved mine two days ago. Looking forward to gleaning some of that wisdom also. I did two chicken breasts bone in tonight. 20 minutes in smoker with apple chips then on the grill. Came out unbelievable!

Welcome to the neighborhood, RDP! You’re gonna be amazed to see what these smokerrs can do!!

One of my fav chicken or game hen recipes is to stuff a couple lemon and orange wedges in the cavity and dust them with seasoned salt and a heavy dusting in cornstarch and then smoke with just a very little Apple wood to a breast temp of 160. Very moist, and that lemon and orange really comes through.