Thread: Pete's Rub

Default Pete's Rub

This rub is great on Chicken, Butts, Ribs and even smoked Whole Rabbits.
    It started out as the rub I was using on my Baby back Ribs. One day I was getting ready to smoke Butts and did not have any rub left. So I used this one, Then the next morning when I was about to take the Butts off and put the chicken on. I thought well lets try it on the chicken also.
    That turned out to be a good move. As its great on those also.

Pete's Rub
    1 cup canning salt Or if you have only the larger salt throw it in the blender
    1/2 cup black pepper
    2 tablespoons of Garlic powder
    2 tablespoons of Oregano
    2 table spoons of paprika
    2 tablespoons of Chile powder.
    Mix well

I mix up 4 of the above and store it. AS it gets better after sitting for a few days mixed together. I go through a 4 batch per month of this.
    Enjoy and hope you enjoy .
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Default Good All Purpose Rub

Still use a sweet rub for pork but this rub is very neutral and I've started using it on just about everything else. Very easy to make and store.

Thanks for the info smokin-tnpete.

BillyBob

Guy's your welcome and as for a neutral rub that's what I like about it as I have found out with a great smoker like the SmokinTex I would rather not cover up the taste of the meat and that smoked flavor with anything that may cover it up.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Thumbs up

TNpete, tried this neutral rub on 3 lb butt this weekend. I took the liberty of adding 2 lb Beau Monde as well. Nice onion/celery flavor alone, but I thoughht a good add to this rub. To me, there's something about celery and pork together....

Turned out dynamite, and just wanted to post a "Thanks" to you for sharing!

Know this is late, but glad it turned out great. Also clean out your inbox. Tried to send you the hush-puppy recipe. But your pass the quote on messages and would not let me send it to you. That or pm me your email and I will mail it to you.
    Pete

I can always use a new rub for my arsenal.

Thank you for sharing smokin-tnpete
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all