Thread: Rack of pork

Default Rack of pork

Has anyone smoked a rack of pork. I have a 7.5 pound one and would appreciate any advice.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I have not, but I would treat it like a pork loin, and smoke it with apple and cherry, or all cherry, to an internal temp of about 165. I'd think about rubbing it with a brown sugar, black pepper and ginger rub, and let it sit in the fridge overnight before smoking. I'd probably start around 225. I'd think a starting time, as a pure guess, would be around 6 hours, taking into consideration the bones, which will tend to slow things down a bit. Hopefully others will be along shortly. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

thank you, it turned out great. Getting ready to do another one.

Thanks for stopping back RDP. Please share more info on time, temp, rub, etc. to help us all in the future!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I just followed your directions. I used an off the shelf pork/rib rub. They all seem to have the same stuff. I covered it with the rub and left in in the fridge over night. I took it to 170, right at 5 1/2 hours@225. I let it sit for an hour covered then sliced it between the rib bones. It came out very moist and tender. Thanks for your pointers, much appreciated! Today I’m trying a pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches.

Hope that butt came out for you!! Glad my thoughts on the pork rack helped!!