Thread: New here! Need some help

Default New here! Need some help

My grandfather's smokin tex got passed down to me when he passed. It's OLD. It looks like the 1100 pro, except it is green and was built onto a green plywood cart. I've since replaced the cart, and recently got a Thermo works probe. I am smoking some chicken breasts. Smoker is set to 225. Temperature reached 215, then started steadily decreasing. It is currently reading 183.8 and still trending downwards. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Update. It got down to 180, and is now starting to climb again

They do have quite a temperature swing. But as long as it cycles back on and off, keep the door closed and don't worry. If you think it isn't working correctly, then the thermostat is only about $30 to replace. And is easily done by one person.
    I bought a used 1400 that had a bad thermostat that never turned off. Took 2 burnt pork butts before I figured out the thermostat wasn't cycling, staying in the heat mode. I only figured it out because my Thermoworks smoke thermometer arrived in time to save the 3rd butt.
    Good luck,
    Dave

Thank you so much. I've heard great things about the customer service. I will reach out

You can bypass the thermostat control and use an Auber PID controller for really tight temperature control. Here's a link to the Auber site with controllers that a lot of users on Smokin Meat Forum use for the Masterbuilt smokers. Personally I don't worry about the temperature swings, my home oven has 25 deg swings.
    Last edited by lonzinomaker; 10-15-2020 at 10:23 AM. Reason: edit link

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Welcome to the forum! Glad you’re here! Lots of info here, just ask.
    Keep good notes. It’ll take time, but you’ll soon figure out what you like, and what you don’t.
    Get a good temp probe, and remember, it’s done when the thermometer says it is, not when the clock says it is.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!