Thread: Newbie Setup Question (1400)

Default Newbie Setup Question (1400)

We are the lucky second owners of a Model 1400. We’re looking forward to making our first batch of bacon, but we’ve been having “weather” lately. We live in a small condo (no garage, no deck), and the condo is too small to store the 1400 indoors. So we are planning to build a “smoker house” for our 1400. We’re planning to use smokehouse plans except obviously that we don’t need to equip the wood structure itself for smoking.

How much clearance do we need to leave between the exterior of the smoker and the walls of the smokehouse?

TIA

If you are intending to cook in the shed, you only need an inch around the sides and enough space in front to open door fully. I would make the top at least 4 in above the top of smoker.
    You didn't say whether your smoker is on a stand, that oblivously makes a difference in what dimensions you build to.
    Check home depot for garden sheds, I've seen several posts on various forums where people use a small plastic shed without need to modify them.
    (Like this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rimax-5-...004/303778561?

Thanks for the reply Ionzinomaker; that’s very helpful, since I wasn’t able to find any of those posts.

Since the Smokin Tex is so well insulated, clearance around sides and bottom is not really an issue. Top just needs to be high enough to allow smoke an easy path out and you to be able to adjust thermostat.