Thread: newbie 1400 cooking in colder weather

Post newbie 1400 cooking in colder weather

I just bought a smokintex 1400....anxious to use it.
    What can I expect if I cook something like ribs outdoors when outside temp is in the 20's?
    thank you
    Greg

When it is that cold, I expect my smoker to take a little longer to get to temp, and maybe slightly longer cook time.
    One thing you have to look out for is the drippings out of the drain hole sometimes pyramid up into a cone and block the drain. So I check my pan every hour or so.

Thanks
    Good tip!

I have found that my overnight cooks in colder weather really require patience. The stall lingers and lingers. While the ST1400 is well insulated it still gives way to wind and colder temps but continues to yeild great results.

I found that at 30 degrees it stabilized about 25-30 degrees lower than the temp setting
    I put a thermometer in the smoke hole.....better than too hot!

On the next smoke I found same thing……thermostat sensor is midway in back of smoker…..temp monitored at smoke hole….
    I rotated jerky tray after first 1.5 hours of 3 hour smoke. It may be the jerky was close together not letting the heat up top.
    I will smoke longer and lower temp next time. Rotating the jerky helped get rid of moisture and evened out the doneness.
    It was 35 degrees outside

Porkjerky was good!

20 degrees would be wonderful. I bought my Smoken Tex when I lived in Houston and now that I've returned to Canada smoking in the winter time is a challenge. I cover my Smoken Tex with insulated moving blankets and try to keep it out of the wind as much as possible. It tends to work very well even in minus temperatures. I'm thinking of having the cover lined with insulated fabric and modified to include a vent hole, access to temperature control and zippered access to the door. It would be nice if Smoken Tex made a winter cover however I suspect it wouldn't be a big seller except to a few of us Northern users. With it covered up with insulated blankets cooking time is slightly longer. I'm smoking a turkey this week and the starting ambient temperature will be -22 F and the high will be -15 F. Wish me luck.

I did some Canadian Bacon at 6 deg F this morning. Box got up to 230 by the time I was done after a stepped temp rise for 2 hours. Didn't use any blankets and there was no wind. I'm sure if I was smoking in -22 deg weather, I would use an insulated cover too.
    Good luck.