Thread: New Owner, questions on cleaning before break-in

Default New Owner, questions on cleaning before break-in

I just brought my 1400 home yesterday afternoon and an anxious to season it so I can use it. I figure I should ask question before I do so as once season it it would be too late. Time zone difference before can call in so hoping someone would know the answer and happen to be online to reply.

The interior of my box has what appears to be flux stains or whatnot around where welds are. They do not wipe off with just water and am unsure if there is any harm whatsoever just leaving as is and breaking in the smoker or it I should do something about them first. I also am unsure if the rear bottom should be completely sealed. It appears to be a gap there for drippings that are not caught to sit and be prone to rusting.

I may be overly concerned about nothing, but do not want to be told that I should have done something before my first startup smoke.

Also should I run first time without any racks or rack holders in it? Use all 6 blocks of wood or weigh out 8 oz?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm sure that Dix will be happy to help once they open. just anxious to get started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what do I use to clean these spots or no need.jpg   should this be completely sealed.jpg  

Not sure about the gap, but personally don't think it will matter. The smoker is made out of stainless steel, so it shouldn't rust.
    For seasoning, go with 8 oz. I did 2 seasoning runs. You can leave the racks and rack holders out, they don't need to season.
    But I would wipe the racks and the inside of the box with undiluted vinegar to clean off any welding residue. And optionally I would put the racks and rack holder in an oven at 400 deg for 15 min to help any leftover oils flash off.

thank you for the quick reply. I ended up running errands shortly after I asked, therefore the really late thanks.