Thread: Smoked Whole catfish.

Default Smoked Whole catfish.

Clean and wash catfish good.

Mix up your favorite Brine ( Search for brine there's plenty of them)
    In a pot I pour 1/2 gallon water
    1/4 cup of salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar make sure it dissolves
    6 whole catfish around the same weight I like them to be around 3/4 lb or 1 lb

Most will call for a gallon of water and a cup of salt. But as the fish are not going to be held for a month. I cut my salt back.
    After getting the brine ready. pour it in a plastic container. And add fish. Let them soak for around 8 hours.
    Take fish out of the brine. And dry with paper towels. And then allow to air dry they will get a light glaze on them.
    Take your favorite cooking spray and spray the fish with it. And then sprinkle black pepper and red pepper on them to your taste. I cover them with both.,
    I have a big half circle needle, And with cotton twine. I place the twine in the collar bone of the catfish. Allow about a 3" loop above the fish.
    Then I use Hardwood dowel rods that are 1/4" thick. Mine are cut 17 3/4" long. Place the fish on the rod and hang them in the smoker.

I smoke them at 235 and it take me around 3 hours for the 3/4 lb or better fish. I take mine out when they have that golden brown color to them. No smoke as the smoker gives them all the flavor they need.
    Hope you enjoy them. Each time I smoke a batch, There gone in a heart beat.
    Pete
    Last edited by smokin-tnpete; 10-08-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Do you normally eat the catfish plain or with other preps?

Doc not sure how I have overlooked your post this long. But at times we only eat the smoked fish. Other times I will fix Hushpuppys and fries with them. Or flake the meat off. And mix it up making smoked Fish Tacos.
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500