Thread: Smoking 2 brisket

Default Smoking 2 brisket

Bought a model 1400 unit. It is an outstanding smoking machine. Have already cranked out several briskets drawing rave reviews. My question is, I want to smoke 2 briskets at the same time. Total meat weight around 24#. I use oak for smoke. Currently use around 7 oz of wood for one brisket. What do I do when I smoke more than 1 brisket? Add more wood at 4 to 5 hour range? Don't think 8 oz will be enough wood for 24# of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin SA View Post
    Bought a model 1400 unit. It is an outstanding smoking machine. Have already cranked out several briskets drawing rave reviews. My question is, I want to smoke 2 briskets at the same time. Total meat weight around 24#. I use oak for smoke. Currently use around 7 oz of wood for one brisket. What do I do when I smoke more than 1 brisket? Add more wood at 4 to 5 hour range? Don't think 8 oz will be enough wood for 24# of meat.
    8 oz's of wood will do 120 lbs of meat in my 1500. If you go over 8 oz's of wood, you may wish you had not used it. Meat only takes so much smoke until its over powering. These smokers do not need lots of wood, as they keep the smoke in them better. Not just going up in the air.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Smile The Results are in................

Thanks for the information. I had to smoke two 12# briskets this weekend for mother's day. We had almost 20 people. I ended up putting both briskets on at the same time. Started with 8 oz of oak. After 6 hours added 4 oz more. Cooked briskets on for 13 hours and the other 15 hrs. The brisket closer to the fire box was done first. The smoke was perfect. Everyone raved about the brisket. Several people said my brisket was better than some of top BBQ places in Texas. Gotta give lots of credit to my 1400. It did all the work. Next time I will rotate the briskets at 6 hours for even cooking.

Was it very moist? And at what temp did you cook them?

Default is it possible to hang the briskets on hooks

just wondering if it is possible to hang the briskets on hooks ?

Anything is possible - but that's a lot of weight to hang on those hooks. With ribs, at least you have a bone to snag. I am thinking that as the meat gets tender your brisket would be sitting atop the wood box. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

Luke Clayton here. YES, 8 ounces of wood is just right. Remember, the Smokin Tex is very tight and the smoke penerates the meat realtively quickly, usually within the first 2 or 3 hours. Doni't think twice about smoking 2 briskets in the 1400, I've done it many times. And... DONT get the idea you need to refill that smoke box half way through the smoking process. Eight ounces is JUST RIGHT to give the briskets an awesome flavor.