Thread: Smoked leg quarters

Talking Smoked leg quarters

I use 10 lbs of leg quarters
    Cut the pieces apart Wash and let them drain a few minutes.
    Spray both side with pam spray or what every spray you use. This turns the skin into something you can eat. Not throw away.
    Turn them skin side up.
    cover with Pete's rub http://www.smokintex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14
    Then turn pieces skin down. And cover the other side with rub after spraying it also.
    I for the most part can get 10 lbs of these on one rack. ( I have smoked 70 lbs on my 1500 on 8 racks)
    Place in the smoker with no wood ( That is if your smoker is well seasoned) or if you use wood ( I never do on chicken or ribs) use a mild wood as apple or pecan.
    Turn smoker on and set it at 225 degrees. Mine I leave the above on for 5 hours. And let me tell you the SmokinTex 1500 makes the chicken come out Juicy and tender. And theres no red color in the chicken like most smoked chicken has. I have never even gotten close to drying out chicken on this smoker. One time something came up and I left the smoker loaded with chicken quarters for 8 hours. Still came out the same.
    Enjoy and hope your smoking is the best your Guest have had the pleasure to eat. But coming out of the SmokinTex it will be.
    Pete
    Last edited by smokin-tnpete; 08-01-2008 at 06:46 AM.
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

After your leg quarters are smoked and tender, remove the meat from the bone, season it with your favorite dry seasoning and seal in a zip lock bag..It makes excellent sandwiches.. It also makes great FAJITAS! Simply remove the meat, season with your favorite dry fajita seasonings, place in a hot skillet with a little olive oil (or fry a little bacon for grease), add some fresh garlic, finely chopped, onion, jalapeno and bell pepper.. You will be in for some of the tastiest chicken fajitas you're ever eaten! I like to use the Fiesta Fajita seasoning.. Luke Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by luke clayton View Post
    After your leg quarters are smoked and tender, remove the meat from the bone, season it with your favorite dry seasoning and seal in a zip lock bag..It makes excellent sandwiches.. It also makes great FAJITAS! Simply remove the meat, season with your favorite dry fajita seasonings, place in a hot skillet with a little olive oil (or fry a little bacon for grease), add some fresh garlic, finely chopped, onion, jalapeno and bell pepper.. You will be in for some of the tastiest chicken fajitas you're ever eaten! I like to use the Fiesta Fajita seasoning.. Luke Clayton
    Luke we pull it off the bone. And freeze, Makes a great smoked chicken salad.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

You betcha! You know,chicken leg quarters are often no sale and smoking they lend themselves well to smoking. It's a very versatile smoked product that can be used in everything from BBQ sandwiches (just slice and add sauce) to, as you say, chicken salad...Luke Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by luke clayton View Post
    You betcha! You know,chicken leg quarters are often no sale and smoking they lend themselves well to smoking. It's a very versatile smoked product that can be used in everything from BBQ sandwiches (just slice and add sauce) to, as you say, chicken salad...Luke Clayton
    Luke the best part, I can smoke 10 lbs of them for a church dinner. And only have $5 or $6 bucks in them. And everyone loves them. Theirs a Guy from our church that is reading the forum. And is going to get Jill to buy him a 1400 for Christmas. Then he will also be smoking with us.
    Pete

I gotta ask,I have tried chicken in my 1400 with good results on the meat but the skin turns out like rubber.Any help on this to make the skin edible??Thanks

BillyQue, some people have put mayo on the chicken then covered it with cheese cloth, make sure the SmokinTex is turned up all the way. Others have removed the chicken after smoking and crisped up the skin on a waiting grill.....

You need the smoker to get hot around 300 in order to crisp up the skin.....others had tried the above method and say's it works......

dan

Quote Originally Posted by BillyQue View Post
    I gotta ask,I have tried chicken in my 1400 with good results on the meat but the skin turns out like rubber.Any help on this to make the skin edible??Thanks
    Pam cooking spray on the skin and its finger licking good. Chicken or Turkey spray it down with plenty of pam or store brand cooking spray. And your skin will be golden brown and great.