Thread: Can I use a Water Pan in my Smoker?

Default Can I use a Water Pan in my Smoker?

I'm new to electrics as I have a WSM, and have had great results with the water pan helping keep food moist with the steam. I know with the WSM it also helps regulate the temp, and with my new electric I know I don't need that, but I do want to keep my food moist!

I hear from my friends that have other electrics that briskets are always a little dry, so when I do my first brisket in the SmokinTex, I think I would like to throw a water pan in the bottom, is this adviseable?

Well, you COULD use a water pan, I guess, but why? If you're smoking a lean piece of meat, such as a venison roast, try using some injectable marinade,letting it smoke uncovered for an hour or so, then wrap in heavy foil and let it cook slowly for 12 hours or so. Using this method, you will find the finished product is very moist and tender with just the right amount of smoke flavor... Good luck to you. luke clayton

No need to use a waterpan in these kind of smokers. Your smokes will be moist, that is unless you over-cook them. So, can you? Yes. Is it necessary? No!

I always you a water pan in my smoker. It holds about 1 gallon or so of water. There are also a lot of reciepes for the water pan such as different types of vegatables, wines, etc.

Charlie

What kind of smoker are you using, Charlie? If it's a SmokinTex there's no need for a water pan. It's a very moist smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I always you a water pan in my smoker. It holds about 1 gallon or so of water. There are also a lot of reciepes for the water pan such as different types of vegatables, wines, etc.

Charlie

What could it hurt to put a water pan? If it would prevent overcooking dryness, why not?

Default water pan

I have used my Smokin' Tex for over 5 years doing venison backstrap, pork loin, pork roast, chicken, turkey, venison sausage and fish. Rarely does a 7 day period go by without me smokin' something, and sometimes 3 loads a day when making summer sausage. As Wheelz said, the only time it was dry was when I overcooked it. I find cooking to a specific internal temperature by using a digital thermometer (not the kitchen type with a plastic wrapped wire) is the best. I used the water pan when I had a charcoal smoker and still sometimes overcooked. But after I started to use the Smokin' Tex the charcoal smoker found its way to the dump. Try the recipe for smoked potatoes in the manual, I've gotten many compliments on that. antler in Md

No need for a water pan with a ST.

for best results for Brisket, select a big one, with a good fat cap. smoke it fat side up.