Name:	built in slide out.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	built in smoker.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	377

After years of discussion, months of designing and finally weeks of of actual work, the new grill island is complete. OK, mostly complete. I still have a few minor items to finish up with but at least it's in a usable form. I thought I would post this as another example of how to handle the SmokinTex 1400 pro within an outdoor island or kitchen.

The real trick was the slideout for the smoker. When not in use, I can slide the unit into the island which keeps it safe and clean. While in use, the smoker is simply pulled out far enough to access the controls and clear the exhaust vent. Because we have a propane grill, I also incorporated a propane drawer on the far left, a standard drawer above that and a propane single burner which I recessed into the top. The middle drawer is simply used to access the inside area. I've also incorporated 2 sets of outlets. One outlet is positioned between the burner and the grill on the back splash so I can run the rotisserie and the other is insidethe base behind the smoker. The backsplash outlet has a standard flip cover and the smoker outlet has a plastic cover which protects the outlet while items are plugged in.

The basic materials include steel studs, hardieboard, slate and travertine. The base is roughly 32"d x 96"w and the top is 36"d x 108"w.

Default Looks Great!

Who makes the pull out shelf you used for your smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by TWG View Post
    Who makes the pull out shelf you used for your smoker?
    Thanks for the note.

I made it myself using slate, metal studs, hardie board and full extension ball bearing slides. I have since found stainless steel slides are now available for outdoor use but so far I've not had any issue with rust. What I really like is the ability to slide it all the way in so it is protected from the elements yet I can slide it out as little or as much as I want when it's running. One improvement I was considering was a stainless vent to redirect the smoke and heat out the front so I can slide it all the way back in while it's in use.

Mad Dog...thanks for the info!!!

BillyBob

Man your on the same path I plan on taking next year. But with my 1500 not sure I can do it the same as yours.
    pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Very nice, your hard work shows!

Default Wow!

This is exactly what I want to build for my 1500! Thanks for posting, for now I'm not only inspired, I'm shown a way!

Just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration. I'm in the last stages of my own outdoor kitchen and will post pictures shortly.