Thread: Turkey

Default Turkey

I tried my first turkey:
    13 pound bird
    225 deg
    no brine
    handful of apple
    12 hours to 180 internal temp

It was dry, FDA says internal temp to 165. Does anyone else stop at 165?

Thanks,
    Mike

Try this
    let bird smoke for first 2 to 3 hours to get smoke flavor
    place in rosting pan with about 2 inches of water, foil and continue to cook until done. Done for me in a restaurant is 175 I don't take chances with part of a bird being undercooked.
    Turkey will be moist and have some smoke flavor, use the au jus to make your gravy.
    Herman

Hello?????????

Default turkey

TRIED Henry's formula and it was great. The gravy was also super. Used the thermometer with probe thru smokehole into breast. Won't do it any other way.

Default Oops

Meant Herman's formula, not Henry's. Keep up the good work Herman and thanks again.

Follow up, I have since cooked 4 turkeys to 170 at breast and they all were the same, GREAT. Only thing I did was wipe them down with butter to brown them. Ended up with awesome looking and tasting birds.
    Mike

Glad your turkeys are tuning out so good.
    I should have mentioned that I use a rubdown with butter and a little salt and pepper with my turkeys.

Herman

How do you keep them moist? How do you keep them from drying up?

Smile Moist Turkey

Both recipes produce moist turkey without doing anythig else but I put lemons and oranges inside the turkey for a little more kick.

all of the bird was moist when cooked to 170 at the breast. I cooked 2 more last weekend with the same results. There is one thing for sure this smoker is consistant.