Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turkey

I take my Turkey out at 160 carry over time + 5* = 165* juicy & Moist also safe temp for Poultry.

I too, smoked a 13# turkey Sunday, same temp and it was great, juicy & moist... The SmokinTex 1400 is the best smoker I've own and I will never need any other...

I deep fried 5 birds (biggest was 24 lbs) for friends and then smoked a 19 lb in my 1400 using the orange/honey recipe from this site for our family meal. Thought the bird might be too big but after 15 hours it was great. I inject the deep fried birds with different seasonings and they taste wonderful but we liked the smoked one better. Will be doing this recipe again.

We also experimented with deep fried turkeys and agree smoked turkey comes out so moist and we too liked the smoked turkey better.
    We smoked 2 turkeys in a 1500-CXLD.
    Thanks and happy smokin!

The deep fried turkeys come out very moist actually. They also only take an hour for a 20 pounder. If you are having a large gathering, deep fried is the way to go. If it is just a family meal where you will have leftovers, smoking is best. If I am smoking or baking I will always put the bird in a brine. This way always guarantees a moist bird with leftovers that will not dry out after a day in the fridge!