Thread: Trout Brine w/ Tenderquick

Default Trout Brine w/ Tenderquick

Any great brine recepies for trout/salmon? I'm finished buying premix.

I have been smoking all my trout this year with pecan wood without any brine or seasoning. From stream to smoker in less then a day. I fillet the trout and leave the little "Y" bones in the meat.

I smoke it for 45-minutes, open the door and dump any juices off the fillets, then smoke with more wood for another 45-minutes. This "double smoked" makes an awesome trout-salad, like tuna salad.

I like the double smoke idea. I'd like to catch some local rainbow trout and give that a try.

Default Smoked Fish in Soy Sauce and Wine Brine

I have used this on Salmon, Tuna, Black Cod, Koknee, and rock fish. It adds great flavor. If you don't want the sweetness of the Yoshidas leave it out. I always rinse afterbeing in the brine and then dry with a fan.

Have fun

Smoked Fish in Soy Sauce and Wine Brine

• 1 Fillet of Fish
    • 1/2 C Sugar
    • 1 Cup Brown Sugar
    • 1/4 C Non-iodized salt
    • 2 C Soy sauce or (1 cup Soy sauce and 1 cup Yoshida’s Gourmet sauce)
    • 1 C Water
    • 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
    • 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
    • 1/2 tps. Ginger
    • 1 tps. Seasoning salt
    • 1 Tbs Fish Seasoning
    • 1 Tbs Old Bay Seasoning
    • 1/2 tsp. Pepper
    • 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
    • 1/2 Cup Ketchup
    • 1 C Dry white wine

Mix the above brine ingredients well, ensuring that all dry ingredients are well dissolved. Soak the fish in the brine for 8 or more hours, keeping all pieces covered with brine and refrigerated. Smoke in your favorite smoker over Hickory, Alder, or a mix of 2/3 Apple and 1/3 Cherry wood. Smoking times will depend on the thickness of the fish and the type of smoker you are using. Place largest and thickest pieces closest to the heat/smoke source.
    SkipperJim

Sounds Great

Any hints on times & temps when somkin fish....I would no smoe anymore than a large piece of Salmon or some Snapper.
    SUggestion are Apperciated
    Mrex

Quote Originally Posted by Mrex View Post
    Sounds Great

Any hints on times & temps when somkin fish....I would no smoe anymore than a large piece of Salmon or some Snapper.
    SUggestion are Apperciated
    Mrex
    Mrex,
    We smoked two five gallon buckets on salmon strips this past fall. We cut the fish into inch-by-inch-by-4 inch fish stick sized pieces, brine for 24-hours, dried for 24-hours, then smoked at 225 for 5 hours. It was spot-on for everyone who tried it.