Thread: Bill's Pork Rib Rub

Default Bill's Pork Rib Rub

The following is the rub I have been using on ribs lately, a bit complex but I have been getting good reviews...

For each 3 racks of ribs combine:

1C - Light Brown Sugar
    2T - Granulated Garlic
    2T - Granulated Onion
    2T - Salt
    2T - Ground Black Pepper
    1T - White Pepper
    1T - Smoked Spanish Pepprika
    1t - Ground Cumin
    1t - TenderQuick (optional)

Combine well and use 3 heaping tablespoons on each side of each rib pressing in well. A kitchen strainer works well as a shaker to spread the rub on the ribs. I do not trim the flap so I work a little of the rub underneath that as well. I do not remove the silverskin but do score it lightly between each rib. Rub the ribs the evening before smoking and keep in fridge until ready to smoke to allow flavor to propogate through the ribs. I smoke at 225 for 3-4 hours until the thickest part of the rib reaches 165 using oak and few peices of lump for a smokering.

I have been getting scrap oak from a friend who does woodworking, it works well in the smokebox. If you do this make sure the person you are getting it from knows what you are using it for so it does not get contaminated.

The TenderQuick is entirely optional but it does help form a nice "smoke" ring.

Bill on the tenderquick, Why use it for the smoke ring? AS if you will use a briquet of charcoal or 2. It gives it the same or better smoke ring. And also not as bad for your heath as the tenderquick.
    Also on the wood. I have not had to use wood on my ribs, Or for that matter on chicken even. As after the smoker gets seasoned good. It turns out better tasting ribs and chicken then using wood. But It did take a few months of hard use of mine to get to that point.
    I have used oak, But man get some cherry or apple or even each wood. That stuff is something on ribs.
    Good luck and thanks for the rub recipe. If your like me, I enjoy trying other recipes to see how well they do on ribs and other cuts of meats.
    Looking forward to more of your post.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by bockert View Post
    The following is the rub I have been using on ribs lately, a bit complex but I have been getting good reviews...

I have been getting scrap oak from a friend who does woodworking, it works well in the smokebox. If you do this make sure the person you are getting it from knows what you are using it for so it does not get contaminated.

The TenderQuick is entirely optional but it does help form a nice "smoke" ring.
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Default TenderQuick and wood

Hi Pete,

As I said, the tq is entirely optional. It does consistently form a smoke ring which does not (consistently) happen with the charcoal. I use it when there are any bbq snobs around who are making fun of my smoker. I am not sure if it is an attempt to impress or eliminate them. The level is so low that I doubt there is any health risk.

I like a little more smoke flavor than just the seasoning from the smoker. I have been running mine long enough the that does work but I have found just a little wood ups the flavor more to my tastes. I have tried cherry, apple, oak and hickory and keep coming back to the oak although apple is a close second. I read once (I am guessing it was a southern author) that if "hickory is the king of smoking woods then oak is the queen." I will probably be using more apple in the future as I am running out of oak and have about 1/2 cord of apple seasoning right now.

Happy smoking and thanks for the comments!!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bockert View Post
    Hi Pete,

As I said, the tq is entirely optional. It does consistently form a smoke ring which does not (consistently) happen with the charcoal. I use it when there are any bbq snobs around who are making fun of my smoker. I am not sure if it is an attempt to impress or eliminate them. The level is so low that I doubt there is any health risk.

I like a little more smoke flavor than just the seasoning from the smoker. I have been running mine long enough the that does work but I have found just a little wood ups the flavor more to my tastes. I have tried cherry, apple, oak and hickory and keep coming back to the oak although apple is a close second. I read once (I am guessing it was a southern author) that if "hickory is the king of smoking woods then oak is the queen." I will probably be using more apple in the future as I am running out of oak and have about 1/2 cord of apple seasoning right now.

Happy smoking and thanks for the comments!!

Bill
    Thanks Bill. Guess I have always been lucky. I always get a great smoke ring all the time using the charcoal. But most times I will use 3 on a big cut of meat. And only one on ribs or chicken if I use any at all.
    Shoot the smoke ring to me is only for looks. It has never made the meat better for me.
    Look forward to more of your post.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

LUKE CLAYTON HERE. For years, I smoked meats with hickory and pecan and still consider both excellent. But.. I've found myself using plum wood more and more the past year or so. I have some plum trees on the place and I just saw pieces of limbs (about three-quarters inch in diam.), put them in a bucket and let them dry.
    PLUM wood is excellent on just about everything I've tried but then, if I had peach trees around the house I'm sure I'd be using peach. I do believe fruit wood gives meats a bit milder flavor..