Thread: Smokin is fun!

Default Smokin is fun!

It has been so fun learning to use my smoker. I experimented with all kinds of wood but hickory is my favorite. I use less wood for my chickens and brisket and more for some wild game. That is the beauty of it you can do whatever you want. Have you ever tried smoking nuts. They are fabulous.
    SmokinJ

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinJ View Post
    It has been so fun learning to use my smoker. I experimented with all kinds of wood but hickory is my favorite. I use less wood for my chickens and brisket and more for some wild game. That is the beauty of it you can do whatever you want. Have you ever tried smoking nuts. They are fabulous.
    SmokinJ
    SmokinJ I smoked some pecan's one time just to try them. and they were good. Also smoked some peanuts and they were good. And a few people thought they were way better then the oven roasted. Boil them in salt water then air dry them for a few hours. then smoke them at 150 with the door proped over just a little. Turns out good.
    Also on my chicken. I do not use any wood at all. After you use the smoker for a few months. Just the seasoning from the smoker is all that is needed on anything like chicken or ribs in mine. And everyone loves the chicken and can't believe there's no wood in there when cooking.
    Pete

I can certainly see how a 'seasoned' unit will continue to impart that smoke flavor, even though no wood is added. One mistake I think many folks make is using too much wood, even on briskets. I have a buddy that actually fills his wood box TWICE when cooking a brisket. The smoke flavor is good but but left uncovered and exposed to TOO MUCH wood smoke, even bigger cuts like pork shoulders, hams or briskets can take on a bitter flavor.