Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brisket 101

Franny...I always rub and inject the night before and I have a vaccum sealer that I use to seal it and put in the frig...you can also just use plastic wrap and foil or a large baggy/turkey bag. In the 1400 the 8# will take 16-18hrs but give youself extra time...each one is different...also I cook them at 250 not 225.
    Hope this helps and good luck!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Thanks for the info. That will help.

Thanks for all the info. That was the best brisket I ever made.

Thanks Franny....glad I could help!!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Brad.... I have a 11 pound brisket, what do you recommend for temp/time? Also, do you think it is necessary to put brisket in pan w/ liquid after a few hours or just leave it on the rack?

I smoked my first 11# brisket today, I rubbed and let sit for 20 hours, injected beef broth, garlic/onion powder, and butter. Started at 190 degrees (5:30am) for 12 hours and due to family waiting and ready to be fed I foiled and baked for an hour at 300. The smoke flavor was great ( I was conservative on wood) but since I did not get internal temp over 188 the brisket was slighty tough.

Overall, not bad, decent first experience with a Smokin Tex smoker... Practice makes perfect, looking forward to my next smoke!!

Update! Since I only used less than half the brisket I re-wrapped and put in oven at 300 for an hour. It reached 203 and after it sat out for 15 minutes the meat pulled apart. My first experience just got better.

hi thats the rule of thumb 185 to 190 for slicing and 200 to 205 for pulling.....bye and good smokin

Ah yes, brisket in my SmokinTex 1500. Reminds me of a famous Mae West quote:

"Any time you got nothing to do - and lots of time to do it - come on up." Mae West.

I firmly believe that, if she had a SmokinTex, she would have added.... "and smoke me a brisket in my SmokinTex. Let's eat!"
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Hello all, I am a newbie. I just got my 1400 in black last Friday. I seasoned it Saturday morning and then threw in a 5 lb. brisket and let it go until internal temp was 203 (using an internal probe I got at Cabelas). It took appx. 17 hours. The meat was very good and falling apart, however it was dry. The brisket seemed to be trimmed pretty lean. Is there something I could have done to have the meat come out juicy?