Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brisket 101

Welcome to the family, SmokeAZ,

I would offer a couple of suggestions. What was the brisket? Choice, Select, Prime? I usually go choice or better. I also look to buy the cryovac briskets, like they sell at Costco. These have a little more fat, and that is a good thing, especially when smoking for 18 hours.

I have, in the past, injected beef broth into my briskets. This can add extra juiciness. I have also used a liquid marinade, such as Claude's Brisket Marinade, overnight. I simply place the brisket in a black garbage bag, then pour in the marinade. Place this in the fridge overnight before smoking.

When you smoke the brisket, I wouldn't trim any of the fat off before smoking.

Make sure you don't open the door, either. Just set your smoker to 225 and let 'er go.

Of course, these are merely suggestions. Feel free to take or ignore as you see fit. Either way, take good notes of what works and what does not, for future reference.

Good luck!

Darren
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

One quick note.....

You may have to hunt around to find a smaller brisket that is cryo'd. It's worth the search. I usually smoke a brisket in the 10 - 12 lb range in the 1400.

Franny,

You can "guestimate" about 90 minutes per pound for brisket. If you want, you can speed up the time by using the "Texas Crutch". Basically, when your brisket hits an internal temp of 150.... either place in an aluminum pan or wrap in aluminum. Back in the smoker, probe inserted, until desired internal temp. I usually aim for 205, seems to be my magic number.

I like to marinade for a day before smoking. Claude's Brisket marinade is the bomb. Then, when ready to smoke, I will use a rub. Occasionally I have messed around with injecting beef broth, for added juiciness.

Using the Texas Crutch shortens the time to 1 hour per pound. But again, I aim for internal temp. Start earlier than you need to, just to give yourself some wiggle room.

We could all use a little wiggle room!
    Last edited by DReeves; 03-28-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: grammar!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

First brisket...smoked it at 200 for 14 hrs, opened the door once.
    It was 11 lbs and the closest to packer trimmed as I could get in Fairbanks Alaska.
    I used a dry rub and placed directly on rack in middle of smoker. I used Hickory and it turned juicy and good but not fall apart done, I didn't have a meat thermometer. It was slightly pink in a portion of the meat. It was juicy and I attribute that to letting it rest while wrapped in foil for 15 mins. So according to all I have read, 200-205 is the fall apart magic number? Does this mean cook at a higher temp or longer at 200

I usually cook my brisket @ 225, stopping when my internal temp hits 203.

My recent 12 lb brisket went 19 hours to hit 203.

Hello guys. I'm new here and I appreciate all the tips I've been able to pick up just reading y'alls postings. I have a question though that I haven't come across here yet.

Bark.

I like a good deep bark on my brisket and with my 1400, I haven't been able to reproduce the bark I usually get with an old wood smoker. Any tips? Thanks!

mstep,

I've read recommendations by other members to try adding in a few charcoal briquettes in the wood box. I have yet to try this, though. I'd be interested to hear what you end up trying and measure your success.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I have been adding 4-5 charcoal briquettes to my cooks, and love the added flavor and bark. Do it. There is a difference.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!