Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded my 1400 to a Digital temperature controller

Default Upgraded my 1400 to a Digital temperature controller

This is what these ovens need. I can now hold a 10 degree heat range as opposed to a 85+ degree with the OEM controller. Cost was aprox. 100 dollars. This controller is a must for fish and jerky. No more radical temp swings (125-210f with jerky). Now I can hover the temps around 170f for fish and 160f for jerky.

Can you give us more details about your upgrade?

Thanks,
    Curt

Birddog - I'm interested in your mod. Do you have details that you can share? I'd like to do the same with my 1400.

Thanks

jba@comcast.net

This might be a interesting subject for the ST folks to look into. I'm interested....And thanks for your input....Steve

Hi,
    I would also like more detail on the upgrade for the theromstat. The temp control has been a real bug a boo for me with a lot of failures. Hubby is not happy. Need part number, proceedures. Looks like you could start a nice garage business with this.
    JoAnn Mantych (JAMSWEB)

I would love some info on this procedure!! T. Stat model number?

Default my digital control on my 1400

solid state relay (SSR).jpgsmokin tex with pid controller01.jpg this is my version of a digital control. Auburn PID controller with a solid state relay. works great and very small fluctuation in temp cost was about $100.00. the solid state relay and heat sink are mounted on the rear of the smoker
    Last edited by pavirgil; 07-15-2011 at 01:30 AM.

pavirgil...can you give more info on the installation and where you got it???

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Default PID temperature controller

Hi Billybob, I got everything from auberins.com best price on the pid controller I could find
    pid controller p/n (syl-2352) ssr control output
    ssr 25a p/n (rs1a40d25)
    heat sink for 25a ssr p/n (hs25)
    thermocouple 4" probe 3ft cable option p/n (tc-k3mm)
    project box for pid controller 1/16 p/n (cptbox16)
    I used the heat sink for the the solid state relay (SSR) even though it is putting out 7 amps (actually less than that) just to keep it cool. this setup has been working very well for me I have had my smokin tex for years and it is great.
    You can down load the instructions for the pid controller and ssr if you need any help let me know. I also added a on/off switch where the old thermostat was located

I don't know, instead of all that work, I'd just use a BBQ Guru. More features, like cook and hold, and timer. Doesn't cost that much more, and no messing with the smoker or possibly voiding the warranty.