Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Upgraded my 1400 to a Digital temperature controller

Quote Originally Posted by Racing66 View Post
    djousma

I see that you used a PID with an external SSR and oldogg270 used what I understand is an PID with a built in SSR or something like that so then a SSR and heat sink aren't required. Is either way work the same or is 1 better than the other?

I am looking at doing this mod on my Smokin Tex 1400 that is well over 10 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated along with pictures. You can email me @ sled-junky-66@live.com

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe, I have no experience with the PID's with built-in relay. The only issue I could see is if it is built-in, then you will have to have the 120V lines running into the control box where the PID is. With a separate SSR(solid state relay), you only run the relay connections(low voltage, doorbell wire) into the PID controller. I used the small PID project box from Auber, so in my case having two additional 120V wires coming out the back of it would have been a little bulky. Also, if the relay is built-in to the PID, you may have to consider relay capacity, and cooling issues within the PID box as well.
    SmokinTex 1400. Smokin since 2012
    See my PID modifications here.

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated! Yea, I think for safety and with the possible heat issues, I think the external SSR is a better option for this project.

thanks
    Last edited by Racing66; 12-24-2015 at 11:47 AM.

djousma------------ would this bypass work on the smoking tex 1400??

http://smokintex.com/forums/showthre...ght=controller

Also do you know if this controller would work and instead of the fan make it run the element?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBQ-Temperat...QAAOSwNSxVWAgq

Thanks,
    Joe

They guy in China that makes the one on ebay suggested using the following controller that he makes called the "golden-rhino" the golden elephant on the bottom of the following page is no longer available.

http://www.allchinas.com/probe/

Any thoughts?

djousma------------ would this bypass work on the smoking tex 1400??

http://smokintex.com/forums/showthre...ght=controller
    >> you could rig that up to work, but you would need to decide if you wanted to open the smokintex up, and remove the builtin thermostat from the circuit, otherwise you will have two thermostats "in-line', and the lower setting of the two would end up controlling the oven temp, and maybe thats ok with you, but also defeats the purpose of putting the PID on in my opinion. Problem with doing that, is that if you, or someone you let borrow your smoker were to plug the smoker in without that Auber external controller there will be no thermostat to control the temp, and the oven would eventually burn up or catch on fire with nothing to regulate the heat. So there is a certain amount of opportunity for bad things to happen going that route. In my case, and the reason for the conversion, was that my builtin thermostat(the knob), was 20-30 degrees off(low), so my meat never cooked sufficiently.

Also do you know if this controller would work and instead of the fan make it run the element?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBQ-Temperat...QAAOSwNSxVWAgq
    >> I suspect not. A Fan circuit doesnt take near the amps that a burner circuit does. I think connecting the burner to that circuit would cause problems.

Thanks,
    Joe

They guy in China that makes the one on ebay suggested using the following controller that he makes called the "golden-rhino" the golden elephant on the bottom of the following page is no longer available.

http://www.allchinas.com/probe/

Any thoughts?
    See my comments above.

Dave
    Last edited by djousma; 12-26-2015 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated! Yea, I think for safety and with the possible heat issues, I think the external SSR is a better option for this project.

thanks
    One other comment on this, there are larger project boxes that guys have used, and have successfully housed the PID, SSR, On/Off switch all in one package. I just chose a smaller one for asthetic purposes, and had dremel tool available to easily cut the hole in the back case for the heat sink.

I would also say that this is not a hard project to do at all, assuming you have some working electrical knowledge. But if you are not comfortable with that, maybe you have a buddy that is, and could assist. in all, took me about 2 hours, including the modifications to the smokin tex to cut the hole for the SSR, drill hole for new oven temp sensor, and mount the new on/off switch.

Joe, What did you end up doing for your smoker? And, Happy New Year!

Dave

You can't use the plastic clip that comes with the PID it won't fit in the box. What I did was put the PID in the face plate and use a small 1/2” long bead of RTV in four spot around inside of the plate to hold the PID in place. This worked as well as the clip and if you need to remove it just use a knife to trim off the RTV.

printed circuit board assemblies
    Last edited by RedMillika; 05-03-2016 at 01:15 PM.

djousma, I too have a Smokin Tex 1400 for about two years now and have decided to follow your PID mods. The only questions I have is how you routed the wiring out of the PID project box back into the back of the unit. I'm assuming you went through the front plate where your toggle switch is located. For your low voltage (doorbell) wire, did you only use it from the PID to the SSR? Can't wait to finish the mods. It's a great built smoker but I want a little more stability in temp. swings. Also, when three of the four racks contain meat, temps. never got above 200.