Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded my 1400 to a Digital temperature controller

Woodys, my 1400 is many years past warranty. The reason I moded my 1400 was that the original temp control had gone out. Smokin Tex has the best products out there in my opinion and would not have even thought of trying to fix something that worked.
    Now as far as the price of the bbq guru don't forget to add the power raptor to your control, and you will still have to rewire it to take the factory thermostat out. so min price would be 237.93 shipped to my house. If I were to use what they recomended it would come to 301.93 delivered. The whole project took me about 1 to 1.5 hours to complete. Now I guess you could say that a Porshe cost is just a little more than a Kia,

Why would you have to rewire anything? I just put my thermostat on to the highest setting and let it go, the guru takes care of everything, but to be honest, I hardly ever use the guru with an electric. I usually just set the temp and let it go till it's done. I am talking out of my butt though as I just got my 1500CXLD last week. I use the guru on my Big Green Egg and Cookshack Smokette. Haven't plugged the 1500 in to it yet. Is it different than using it on the smokette?

If you're way past warranty, I guess it makes sense to mod it, but I wouldn't change it just for the sake of having digital. I'm a Luddite anyway, I like the dial.

If you leave the old thermostat in line and want to bring your digital to 250 deg then you will have the same temp swings you may have been trying to avoid' just saying.If you are going to spend that much money why would you leave the old sysem in? That would not make it a redundant system

'Woodys...How would you use a Guru with the 1400? I use it with some of my other smokers...but not with the ST 1400.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Billybob, you need the power raptor for the guru and you plug the 1400 into the raptor. The guru cycles it on and off.

PA, I see what you mean, but that would only happen at 250*. Any less and the guru moderates it. On the cyberq you can custom set the swing range.

Swings are meaningless anyway, it is the average over many hours that matters for the most part.

Me too!... The photo of the controller does not display a brand, model etc... could you possibly provide that info and where you purchased it. I went to a local store and the owner was definately opinionated regarding wood vs electric so he was not much help.

Smokin Tex if you are listening..... there is obviously a market need for more precise temp control on your retail somkers! Are you working on it?

Quote Originally Posted by tbandcq4u View Post
    Me too!... The photo of the controller does not display a brand, model etc... could you possibly provide that info and where you purchased it. I went to a local store and the owner was definately opinionated regarding wood vs electric so he was not much help.
    You might try a google search on 'smokintex mods'. Could find something useful there.

Curt

Yes we are listening and will continue to listen.
    As to the question concerning tighter temp control. You first need to understand our position and what we’ve found in our testing.
    The questions we have to answer are: does our smoker produce good product at a reasonable price and meet our needs as an ongoing business.
    Currently we provide the longest and strongest warranty in the business and we back that up with our actions. We are more than reasonably priced initially and the parts that may eventually need to be replaced, the heating element and thermostat, are available from us at $29.95 each. They fit our original smokers as well as our current smokers. This continued support is important to us and, I believe, our customers.
    When we make changes we have to consider everything and the changes impact on a lot of factors.
    1. Purchase Price. Can we maintain our price? Going digital will cost a lot more. A competitor of ours recently went all digital and raised the price of their smokers to almost twice what the analog version was priced at. More recently they have had to reintroduce an old design analog smoker.
    2. Warranty. If you look at warranties on digital for outdoor products you’ll see that no one does a two year warranty. We couldn’t continue ours in the same way either.
    3. Cost of repairs. Where the current temperature control cost our customers $29.95 to replace the digital control will cost more, probably a lot more. In addition, we suspect the effect on the heating elements from a tighter temp control will shorten their life span.
    4. What do we gain? While there are some benefits to some people we have to come back to will this produce a better product than we currently get from our smokers? The answer from our customers, for the most part, is that the current controls provide a good consistent product at a reasonable cost. They like what our smokers do.
    Are we going to have smokers with a tighter temp control thru digital? The answer is yes. But it will be more expensive all the way around and the warranty will be different. Will we get rid of the current system? No. It provides a great consistent product at a fair price, both initially and ongoing.
    We will continue to listen to our customers but please consider everything we need to take into account before we make any kind of change.

Default p/n's

the p/n's for the controller and ssr are on a previous post