Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded my 1400 to a Digital temperature controller

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

dj,
    That's the bottom line. Any item you buy that you're not happy with wont get used, no matter what it is. Being happy is much more important than being the same as everyone else.

Go forth, then, and Smoke on!!!

Yea, I have a lot to learn. Mainly in the area of sauces and rubs. Thanks.

Could it be the outside temp your cooking in?? I have just cooked 3 Briskets when the temp was in the 30's with out any issues... I just increased the cooking time by 45 minutes, I loaded & locked my ST1400 and the next morning it all was perfect.

I have had my ST1400 since last fall 2011, and have cooked over almost 116 Brisket Flats, Beef Jerky 5 times, 22 racks of ribs 2 turkey's and 2 meatloaf's along with 100 smoked Ball Park Jumbo Hot Dogs and all I use is about a cup of Hickory or Pecan or 1/2 of each wood chips from SmokinTex, my ST1400, and set the temp control at 225 and I just lock & load and come back when time dictates.... I just do not worry about smoking now, but with past 6 or 7 smokers I have owned or used over the past 10 years it was big hassle, and turned in to a major guessing game. And the smoked meat never came out as great as it does today..

A couple of tips I can share is:
    (1) Keep you unit inside wiped down, do not let your temp probe cake or crust up ... the ST1400 is well engineered and I would by a case of briskets instead something I do not need such as a "PID" and cut up my ST1400..... Also keep your maverick temp probe also cleaned. But do not go crazy and over clean just wipe it down as soon as your through cooking and the unit is cool enough to clean.

(2) I use a small pan of water on the bottom rack or a small tin cup of water on the bottom to maintain some moisture. I am going to order the
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flavorbox.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	141
    SmokinTex 1168 - Flavor Box that you can order on the web site for just $29.95

(3) Learn to relax, trust your ST1400. You can always contact the support team at ST....

Bob in Plano (N5ZBJ) 73's

Hi BillyBob,

Wanted to see if you heard anything back from Smokin Tex yet?

Auber Ins also sells a stand alone "Electric Smoker Controller, Dual Probe" as a plug-n-play model. Will this work with the 1400?

cg,
    If I'm thinking of the same one, Don't know why it wouldn't, since it's a temp based system that turns the electicity on and off, should work with any ST product, or almost anyone else's smoker, although I have heard it's a "no-go" with the Bradley, but with having to buy the little wood pucks, I think that things got other issues that can't be overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by cghefner View Post
    Auber Ins also sells a stand alone "Electric Smoker Controller, Dual Probe" as a plug-n-play model. Will this work with the 1400?
    The problem with the plug-n-play is that your stock thermostat is still in-line. If it is not working correctly(ie not getting hot enough), then it will still cut the power to the burner regardless of the external unit. You can easily take the back off, and disconnect the thermostat, but then if you ever plug your unit in without the plug-n-play, nothing will stop it from burning up.

It is my personal belief that smokintex got a bad batch of thermostats. My smoker wouldnt get hot enough either. You can see what I did to remedy the problem a few posts further up in this thread. Since that change, everything works great!

Point to dj on that one. Hadn't thought anout the ST thermostat still being in line.

dj-

I would love to install a self contained PID, etc. I even saw a post on another forum where someone installed it with a switch to go between the PID and the stock thermostat.

The reason I'm not going to go down that road is that my unit is brand new, and one of the factors in choosing it is the two year warranty, so I am not willing to give that up for at least another 23 months! That is why I thought the Plug n Play would be the better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by cghefner View Post
    dj-

I would love to install a self contained PID, etc. I even saw a post on another forum where someone installed it with a switch to go between the PID and the stock thermostat.

The reason I'm not going to go down that road is that my unit is brand new, and one of the factors in choosing it is the two year warranty, so I am not willing to give that up for at least another 23 months! That is why I thought the Plug n Play would be the better solution.
    I understand your concerns. I went through that thought process too. My smoker was two weeks old when I took the stock thermostat out, and put the pid on. That was after doing two pork shoulders, and two chickens and having to finish all in the oven. It was after that, that I did a another single chicken, and placed my second temp sensor in the oven when I found that my temps were on average of the temp swings about 40-degrees below what the knob was reading. I decided that the smoker itself is pretty much indestructable, so the only concern was warranty on the parts I was replacing.

For me it was a no brainer. Took about 2 hours to do the retrofit, and about $100(wasnt necessarily cheap). But now my problem is resolved. Here is a link (in this same thread) with photo's. The only other option would have been to either a) send the smoker back to smokintex for an exchange, or b) smokintex sends me a new thermostat replacement that *may or may not* fix the problem.

Dave