Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded my 1400 to a Digital temperature controller

Supposing I still opted to go with the plug-n-play, specifically how would I bypass the thermostat. Is it just a matter of disconnecting the two wires from the thermostat and connecting them together?

Yes. Remove the back panel. The two wires are connected with push on connections to spade connectors on the thermostat. Just connect them together, maybe make a jumper with a short piece of wire and a spade connector on each end. just don't plug it in directly without the plug-n-play. there will be nothing to regulate the temp, and you will burn it up.
    Last edited by djousma; 03-30-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks dj. I will let you know.

My 1400 smoker is only a few months old, but after using it for a short time the thermostat became totally unstable. During cooking the temperature would go up to 650 degrees or only 200 degrees depending on how the controller worked. I found this out after my ribs came out screwed up, so I used a digital meter to record the temperature. I upgraded to a digital controller and then preformed 3 tests each with 5 or 6 oz of chunks, chips, or pellets. With the temperature set at 225, and a digital meter to record the temperature, I found the temp rose to between 232 and 241 degrees then settled in at between 223 and 229 after the wood had finished burning. I ran the controller with the factory setting and it worked perfect. With this upgrade you can now bring up the temperature at the end to 350 degrees and brown your chicken skin. I mounted the temperature sensor 2 ˝” below the top of the smoker and this puts it above the top rack when the side racks are in the lower position and under the top rack when the side racks are in the upper position and replaced the old temp controller with a toggle switch. It did cost almost $100 to get the temperature under proper control, but since the upgrade I have cooked ribs and a turkey and it cooked them to perfection. Now I think this is an excellent smoker!
    I attached some pics, and yes it is operating on a closed in porch and connected to a chimney with a 4” aluminum dryer vent pipe that is just sitting on top of the smoker and no you wouldn’t know it was on with out the lights on the new controller. Winter here in the NW is usually 40 degrees and wet so this works out perfect.

Material list
    Aubers.com
    PID controller: SYL2342 $45.50
    Temperature sensor: TC-K3mm with 3' cable $7.95
    Box: Cbox 16 $22.32
    Plus shipping: $8

Local Hardware:
    ON/OFF Toggle switch $5
    High temp RTV $2.40

Local appliance store
    #14 high temp wire 10' $4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010071.jpg   P1010070.jpg   P1010069.jpg   P1010066.jpg   P1010065.jpg  

Nice job. Looks just like mine earlier in the thread.

Interesting that the PID you bought fits in the project box mounted horizontally. Auber's webpage says it does not. Thats why I went with the SYL-2362 model.
    Last edited by djousma; 04-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.

You can't use the plastic clip that comes with the PID it won't fit in the box. What I did was put the PID in the face plate and use a small 1/2” long bead of RTV in four spot around inside of the plate to hold the PID in place. This worked as well as the clip and if you need to remove it just use a knife to trim off the RTV. With this upgrade it is amazing the difference in the quality of hot smoked meat I'm producing.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog270 View Post
    You can't use the plastic clip that comes with the PID it won't fit in the box. What I did was put the PID in the face plate and use a small 1/2” long bead of RTV in four spot around inside of the plate to hold the PID in place. This worked as well as the clip and if you need to remove it just use a knife to trim off the RTV. With this upgrade it is amazing the difference in the quality of hot smoked meat I'm producing.
    Thanks OD for the info. glad its working out. Been a good change for me too.

There seems to be a common theme with folks that have bought their smokers recently. I'm wondering if the manufacturer for ST had a bad batch of thermostats? Those that have had their smokers for 1 or more years have not had problems. Mine was on average 40+ degrees off from reality.

7 year with Smokin Tex. Temp controller out. Just bought a BBQ Guru CyberQ with Power Raptor.
    I would like more information on installing the temp probe. HomeDepot has RTV in various colors - I don't know green from red or blue! At $50 is too much for what I need. Thanks for info.

I bought my RTV at the local Buy Mart store for $2.50 in the automotive department but any auto parts store should have some. What I bought is red but I don't think the color makes any difference the tube is small only a few oz . It is used on car engines to form a gasket and will stand 600 to 700 degrees. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog270 View Post
    I bought my RTV at the local Buy Mart store for $2.50 in the automotive department but any auto parts store should have some. What I bought is red but I don't think the color makes any difference the tube is small only a few oz . It is used on car engines to form a gasket and will stand 600 to 700 degrees. Hope this helps.
    Thank you olddog270. Perhaps whatever formula the color represents does not matter for this application. I sure like $2.50 cost over $50.00 cost. My BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi with Power-Raptor has been shipped; scheduled to arrive this Monday.