Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded my 1400 to a Digital temperature controller

Quote Originally Posted by Bull_Duck View Post
    7 year with Smokin Tex. Temp controller out. Just bought a BBQ Guru CyberQ with Power Raptor.
    I would like more information on installing the temp probe. HomeDepot has RTV in various colors - I don't know green from red or blue! At $50 is too much for what I need. Thanks for info.
    Received my BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi & Power Raptor. Easy rewire for plug-and-play of the Smokin Tex to the Power Raptor. The CyberQ Wifi gives locational mobility and locational freedom. No more stuck in place. It gives a higher level of monitoring ability and control over the Smokin Tex. Love this setup - no going back to the $28 Smokin Tex thermostat.

Sounds complicated, Bull_Duck.

Was this a difficult install? Many of us would be interested, just curious if the install was difficult. You know, brain surgery ain't for me
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    Sounds complicated, Bull_Duck.

Was this a difficult install? Many of us would be interested, just curious if the install was difficult. You know, brain surgery ain't for me
    If you google 'smokintex 1430 pid' you will find one way to install a PID controller

Curt

Found the post on Google.... thanks, Curt

Quote Originally Posted by ctimmer View Post
    If you google 'smokintex 1430 pid' you will find one way to install a PID controller

Curt
    Curt, I actually used your webpage as a guide for doing mine. I posted photo's and parts list earlier in this same thread. Thanks for putting that up!

I picked up a used Smokin Tex 1400 last summer and I love it--but always looking to improve. I've seen the PID upgrade and would like to do it. But I can't seem to find the schematic that shows how to wire it up--can anyone help? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    I picked up a used Smokin Tex 1400 last summer and I love it--but always looking to improve. I've seen the PID upgrade and would like to do it. But I can't seem to find the schematic that shows how to wire it up--can anyone help? thanks
    Here is curt's website, however it looks like it down right now, hopefully only temporary.

Here is another link to a pretty easy to read schematic. What is missing from that picture however, is the Oven temperature sensor that connects to the thermocouple ports on the pid to regulate the oven temperature. While the diagram shows numbered contacts on the PID, I would ignore those, and use the supplied instructions with whatever PID you purchase, as they could be different.

Finally, here is a link to my post post #28 in this same thread, where I posted the parts list needed to complete my project. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by djousma; 11-06-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    SmokinTex 1400. Smokin since 2012
    See my PID modifications here.

Perfect, thanks for the assist. I got worried when I found Curt's website down, figuring I had missed out. Did you use the temp probe that is built in to the Smokin Tex, or did you change them out?

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    Perfect, thanks for the assist. I got worried when I found Curt's website down, figuring I had missed out. Did you use the temp probe that is built in to the Smokin Tex, or did you change them out?
    You have to change it out. I removed mine rather than leaving it in there. I also removed the stock thermostat, and used/enlarged that hole for the power on/off switch. I moved my oven temp sensor nearer the top of the oven, closer to where the food is normally cooking, instead of being so close to the burner, it will give a better, more even heating. The temp sensor that comes with the ST is a pressure type bulb sensor. The PID requires either a two wire thermocouple sensor, or a 3 wire rtd sensor. The third link in my prior post lists everything that I needed to purchase to do the project. In all, probably $100 for everything. The PID is around $40-50, the oven probe, $10, the project box $20, all came from auberins.com, the rest came from the hardware store.
    SmokinTex 1400. Smokin since 2012
    See my PID modifications here.

djousma

I see that you used a PID with an external SSR and oldogg270 used what I understand is an PID with a built in SSR or something like that so then a SSR and heat sink aren't required. Is either way work the same or is 1 better than the other?

I am looking at doing this mod on my Smokin Tex 1400 that is well over 10 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated along with pictures. You can email me @ sled-junky-66@live.com

Thanks,
    Joe