Thread: Smoked salmon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Smoked salmon

I dry brine my salmon with 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar, some onion powder, garlic powder and dill weed. I brine for 4-6 hours and then rinse and dry to skin them on a plank in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Once skinned I smoke with pecan wood for 1-1.25 hours at 170f or until internal temp hits 160.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon by BirdDog (2).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	656
    Last edited by BirdDog; 05-29-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Looks great, BirdDog! Anything you'd change next time around?

Question: Is there a reason you used a glass dish? I am thinking this skirted the smoke around the fillet. Spray your grate and fillet with cooking oil and you shouldn't have issues with sticking.

The "skin" you are looking for when the fish is in the fridge is called the "pellicle." It thin and sticky. The pellicle provides a place for the smoke to adhere as well as helping the fillet to retain moisture.

Just a few thoughts...
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

Default Smokin King Salmon and Steelhead

Just put in my first batch of salmon and trout in my new ST1400 - this unit is built! Brined for 24 hours - will post solution later. I used 6oz of Alder, and from what I have read this may be to much - will know in about 5 hours. Set smoker at 170degrees. Coated fillets with Maple Syrup prior to placing in smoker.

Question: Is the finished product consumed like "smoked salmon," or is it flaked and made into a salmon spread or something else?

Thanks!
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!