Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SmokinTex temperature cycle (1400)

Default SmokinTex temperature cycle (1400)

I really like my smoker but I am concerned about the temperature range (see below) as the unit cycles on and off. As you can see there can be as much as a 30 degree swing in the high/low cooking temperature. Is there any way to tweak the smoker to narrow the high/low range?

The red and green lines represent the smoker temperature. One was in the front and the other in the back.

Thanks for your help,
    Curt

You're probably aware that all electric heating elements are going to have peaks & valleys. I wouldn't be concerned as long as the desired temp consistently falls into the mid-range. IMO, If the finished product is acceptable, don't sweat it. I know, not much help!
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    You're probably aware that all electric heating elements are going to have peaks & valleys. I wouldn't be concerned as long as the desired temp consistently falls into the mid-range. IMO, If the finished product is acceptable, don't sweat it. I know, not much help!
    I don't have a problem with the peaks/valleys, I just want to narrow the range. If I only wanted 'acceptable', I would just buy smoked products at the supermarket

Curt

You call super market Q acceptable...?
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

Default Temperature Variation

Curt,
    That kind of fluctuation in the temperature is not uncommon. Cooking at low temperature and over an extended amount of time this variance should have little to no impact. There is some influence based on how you take the measurements, but the oven is designed to average the temperature set on the knob.

If you would like to contact me at our office I will be happy to assist you in determining the calibration of your unit and I can attempt to help you in achieving your cooking goal if there is something specific you want to cook.
    Please call me at (888)922-1511.
    Thanks, Scott
    SmokinTex

888-922-1511
    Email: sales@SmokinTex.com http://www.smokintex.com
    P.O. Box 250243 Plano, TX 75025

Please Curt dont even bring up generic Q. Please read about all the great meals that everyone has posted about. Once you get uses to yours, post some of your experiments for everyone to enjoy....And ST customer service will be there to help.......Steve
    Last edited by Tampasteve; 06-04-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Well I don't think I'll monkey with mine since I am concerned about my warranty, & besides I haven't cooked anything yet that wasn't out of this world.
    Originally posted by
    billy b

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Well I don't think I'll monkey with mine since I am concerned about my warranty, & besides I haven't cooked anything yet that wasn't out of this world.
    Originally posted by
    billy b
    I cannot argue with your logic

Curt

I noticed much larger swings here in Ohio when I first bought and started using my 1400. That was last December.

Outside temp was in the 20's and lower most of the time. I think this produces more of a chimney draw through the unit and the wood burns more before extinguishing itself.

Totally different now that simmer is here and temps are in the (OH god it's too hot) 80's!!!

Ralph Ed

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

While my research wasn't NEARLY that scientific, I, too, noticed temp swings on my dual probe thermometer, but I'd suggest that the gas furnace in your home, your electric or gas water heater or oven do the same thing, and no one clamors for them to be spot on accurate the entire period. There are posts discussing a digital temperature, I'd suggest running it for a while and see what the results are, then decide if a "tweak" is necessary. While I'm a relative newbie here, I'm quite pleased with the 1400 thus far, and don't see a need for modifications. Any heating element is subject to some fluctuation, the question is the cost, the labor, and the result, and whether it's worth it. I'd suggest looking at the internal temp of the meat under these conditions and see if the meat temp swings as the element cycles and see if the cycling element has any net effect on results. So long as the meat temp doesn't increase or decrease predictably as the cabinet temp cycles, I'd suggest that while the cabinet temp DOES cycle, you are still getting the control and predicatble results you're after.

On another note, "Holy white smoke, Batman!" I just noticed I made "Senior Member"! I suppose now I gotta start getting serious...Do I get like a smoke ring halo or something?
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 07-27-2011 at 07:27 PM.