Thread: Smoked Fish Recipes

Default Smoked Fish Recipes

Hello all!!! I just got my first Smokin Tex 1400.I have seasoned it and am raring to go. My wife and I eat a lot of fish (of course we got to catch them first). I am looking for brines and rubs for trout, mackinaw, walleye, steelhead and salmon. I found a catfish one that I am going to try for the walleye posted here but would like to try other recipes for the mackinaw and trout. Any suggestions?

Congrats on your purchase! You're gonna love this. I suggest for your first smoke, make it simple... and there's nothing more simple than a nice fatty pork butt. It's very forgiving and will put a nice, thick coat on the walls of your smoker. Fish can sometimes be tricky. Learn your smoker & what it can do, then tackle the other stuff.

Just a thought... Enjoy!!!
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

Hi Wheelz...

Judging by all of your posts and responses in this forum, I would say that you are probably one of the Smokin Tex gurus!!! I am doing things just opposite of your recommendation as I could not wait to try the fish.. This last week end I smoked about 28lbs of trout and Makinaw. I used a simple brine and let it set for about 6 hours. I then air dried it using a fan (your recommendation) for about 2 hours. I put it all in the 1400 with alder chips, set it at 170 and let her go for 4 hours. It came out PERFECT!!! I shared with the neighbors at the Lake while it was still warm. They thought it was wonderful. Two of them are in the process of getting their Smokin Tex 1400's right now. They both ordered them after seeing what mine would do. So now I am on the site looking for your Pork Butt recipes. Thanx for all the info on here....

Augwen -- Thanks for the kudos, but I certainly wouldn't call myself a guru. I'm just a guy who loves to smoke and read & learn about smoking. It's all an ongoing process.

If you start a thread on pork butt, I'll certainly chime in. I would post here but it would then get lost in the shuffle.

Take care & keep on smokin'!
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

I smoke a lot of fish, trout, walleye, and salmon. I do not do anything to the fillets but wash them, pat them dry with a paper towel, and stick them on a rack. Skin or no-skin, does not matter. 45-minutes with a sweet wood. Then I reload the wood and go another 45-minutes. Great taste, and makes an awesome tuna-fish style salad.

My neighbor is a heavy smoker (cigarettes), so he prefers a triple-smoking of his trout. That is overpowering for me, but he loves the strong taste.
    Last edited by twobucks; 08-16-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Hey Twobucks, what temperature are you doing this at? I might just give it a try! I have since done 4 loads of different fish. All brined with different brines for different times. The big trick, I think, is the air drying before it goes in the smoker. I have used apple, plum and pecan in the last three batches. You can taste the difference between them. What wood were you using?

I have been using pecan or peach at 175-degrees. No brine, no work, just the four "F" process:

1. Fish
    2. Fillet
    3. Fill the smoker
    4. Feast

Default Smoked Fish

Envy your fishing. We live close to the seaport in Jacksonville and fish is one of our favorites also! I didn't see anyone mentioning alder for smoking which is one of our favorites for just about everything. We also add to our brine herbs such as tarragon or basil. Also a standby is Old Bay Seasoning in the brine. Thanks for reminding me of fish! Lance