Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Back Pork Ribs

Default Baby Back Pork Ribs

Here is a different twist on Baby Back Ribs, and it is a big hit at my home. After years of using this recipe on a propane grill, my new 1400 does a superior job. My apologies to Hank Hill, but propane and propane accessories are no longer needed around here!

Take about 6 racks of Baby Backs. Mix up the following marinade. Save about half of the marinade mix to use as a sauce for the finished ribs. You are going to love sopping up the this sauce on a hot rib!

Spices

8 tbs Paprika
    4 tbs Chili Powder
    4 tbs Cumin
    2 tbs Oregano
    2 tbs Black Pepper
    2 tbs White Pepper
    4 tbs Brown Sugar
    2 tbs Sugar
    4 tbs Salt
    1 tbs Cayenne (increase or decrease to preference for "hot")

Combine Spices, then add liquids as follows:

1 cup Vinegar
    1 cup Water
    1 cup Soy
    1/2 cup Worchester

Generously coat the ribs and let set in the fridge at least a couple of hours. Load the smoker with about 4 to 6 oz of hickory, pecan and apple. Smoke ribs at 225F for 4 hours. Don't forget the extra marinade you saved, as a sauce for the finished ribs.

Now sit back and enjoy some great Baby Back ribs!

Oregano is something that I like to add to all of my rubs. Some people do not use it. But for me, I think its adds that extra little taste that helps pull the rub together.
    Thanks for posting I will sure try it out. Picked up 10 sides today.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Default Im Going for it!

Your recipe sounded awesome to me, so I am smoking Ribs tonight taking your advice. I have been marinating them since last night and will be smoking them at 5PM Eastern. I kept some of the marinate on the side, like you said. Will report tomorrow how they came out!

Default Wouch!

I did your recipe as listed, except I added an extra teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper. To say they were "hot" (spicy) is an understatement. They almost killed my brother, and made my dog "poop sick". Are they supposed to be this spicy, or is it the fact that the extra teaspoon of cayenne gassed them too much??

PS Does anyone have a recipe for ribs that wont make me breathe fire?

Below is a recipe for 1/4 batch of BRITU (Best Ribs In The Universe). I use it all the time. I love it, wife loves it, friends & family love it!

Simple thing is to just cut back on the heat. If you like the flavor but not the heat, lower it or omit it. the white pepper is like an after-burner. It's kick doesn't hit ya immediately.

Feel free to omit anything. I don't do heat that well & like this recipe a lot.

1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup non-iodized table salt
    1/8 cup brown sugar, dried
    4 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
    1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder

The BRITU is given courtesy of Mike Scrutchfield. The entire process can be found here.

Good luck & let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Wheelz; 05-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.

I'm a redneck married to a cajun girl and everyone knows you can't get a cajun out of s.w. louisiana

This is probally a mortal sin--but I like to boil my ribs in shrimp boil for about 10 min then smoke them for about 3 hours--meat falls off the bones

Boiling ribs extracts flavor. Flavor is in the fat & bone. Granted, boiling does "tenderize" ribs -- but I prefer to tenderize with low & slow cooking process. If you've ever been to Outback or Chili's and wondered why the ribs are mushy and "fall off the bone," it's because they are par-boiled. To cover up the lack of pork meat flavor they float them on BBQ sauce. Smoke your ribs correctly and you'll not have to boil. Been doing this for years and never, ever boiled ribs.
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

Both sound good...will try.

BillyBob

Quote Originally Posted by Lng Island View Post
    I did your recipe as listed, except I added an extra teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper. To say they were "hot" (spicy) is an understatement. They almost killed my brother, and made my dog "poop sick". Are they supposed to be this spicy, or is it the fact that the extra teaspoon of cayenne gassed them too much??

PS Does anyone have a recipe for ribs that wont make me breathe fire?

Hadn't accessed my recipe here for a while and found your reply. The problem here is that YOU chose to add the extra Cayenne, so sorry this recipe did not work for you. Hopefully, your dog survived.

Now I am off to the store to get what I need to serve up some of these great ribs in time to watch the Rangers play.....

...And, fact is that naked smoked ribs (salt & pepper to taste) are pretty darn good. I do like a little spice, tho I am not big on heat. That's why I posted the BRITU recipe above. Like Dan said, If you don't like the heat, simply omit it.
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!