Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoked Turkey Legs

Default Smoked Turkey Legs

Hi
    I am new to Smokin Tex. I am a very new smoker. I was wondering if anyone has been able to replicate the wonderful taste of the Fairground Turkey Legs in the Smokin Tex Pro?

Smile

It's easy...just make sure you get anough smoke in them.

BillyBob

I put the full recipe on the Smokin Tex Facebook page. The post is too long to list here:

Brine: 1gal water, 1C salt, 1/2C sugar, 2 Tbsp ea: Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, fresh ground pepper, sage, cumin - Brine overnight

Rub: 3 Tbsp onion pwr, 2 Tbsp Paprika, 1 Tbsp garlic pwr, 1 Tbs Pepper, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp sage

Lightly coat the legs with olive oil and add the rub. Let rest for 45 min. Add 3oz pecan or hickory. Cook 5 hours at 225. Good luck!

Mods- anyway to remove the 500 character limit on posts?

Default Turkey leg recipe

Thank u Keith .
    I am still struggling w ribs and this smoker. I did basic rib rub w baby backs 4.5 hours at 225. Very good but not quite buttery soft- any tips?.

Quote Originally Posted by drmarion View Post
    Thank u Keith .
    I am still struggling w ribs and this smoker. I did basic rib rub w baby backs 4.5 hours at 225. Very good but not quite buttery soft- any tips?.
    Not Keith, but try wrapping in foil at 4 hr and put back in ST for another 2 hours. I like mine pulling back from the bones but not falling off. This does the trick for me.

HTH
    John

Quote Originally Posted by keith13b View Post
    I put the full recipe on the Smokin Tex Facebook page. The post is too long to list here:

Brine: 1gal water, 1C salt, 1/2C sugar, 2 Tbsp ea: Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, fresh ground pepper, sage, cumin - Brine overnight

Rub: 3 Tbsp onion pwr, 2 Tbsp Paprika, 1 Tbsp garlic pwr, 1 Tbs Pepper, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp sage

Lightly coat the legs with olive oil and add the rub. Let rest for 45 min. Add 3oz pecan or hickory. Cook 5 hours at 225. Good luck!
    I used your recipe & smoked turkey legs yesterday, all I can say is you made my two grandkids & myself very happy, ther were great, it brought back old memories, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I used your recipe & smoked turkey legs yesterday, all I can say is you made my two grandkids & myself very happy, ther were great, it brought back old memories, thanks
    Awesome - glad it worked out for you....

Quote Originally Posted by drmarion View Post
    Thank u Keith .
    Try this:

Rub/smear some olive oil on the ribs after the membrane is removed - you have to remove the membrane to make them soft in my opinion. Then salt/pepper to taste OR..... I like to use a combo of (light to moderate) McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning and (liberal) Emirl's original seasoning on both sides. Let it sit overnight in the fridge in a gallon ziplock bag. Then fire up the somker and on two racks use your favorite wood and try smoking at a lower temp for longer. Maybe 200-210 for 6 hrs. Finish on the grill... My biggest concern is the quality of the meat might you have. Try different suppliers - seriously!

I use meat from Costco - and LOVE it. Uner $2 pound and melts in your mouth at 225 for 5 hrs with 5 min a side @ 500 on the grill to crisp up the fat. Add some sauce to taste before grilling if you like them wet. Bones fall off easily....in fact its hard to keep them in when you switch to the grill. I can pick up the rack w/ some tongs and the end rib will fall on the floor. Annoying, but you know they are perfect!

Remember to wrap in foil for 15-30 mins after you take them off the grill....and, yes, this is difficult to do when you just want to eat them....BUT, it lets the meat slow down on cooking, the fat separates, and the bone will cool and contract.

Don't forget to put some red potatoes; quartered and slabbed w/ oil and tossed with the Montreal seasoning on the top shelf using the seafood rack....put a sprig of fresh rosemary in the wood box and dice up fresh rosemary to add when done. I did this biut was too lazy to mash them. The best new potatoes I've ever had.......

Good locak and report back!

Default Thks

Keith
    Thks foe the recipes. I have been pretty busy. I m going to try it.