Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoked Turkey Legs

Default Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keith13b View Post
    I put the full recipe on the Smokin Tex Facebook page. The post is too long to list here:

Brine: 1gal water, 1C salt, 1/2C sugar, 2 Tbsp ea: Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, fresh ground pepper, sage, cumin - Brine overnight

Rub: 3 Tbsp onion pwr, 2 Tbsp Paprika, 1 Tbsp garlic pwr, 1 Tbs Pepper, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp sage

Lightly coat the legs with olive oil and add the rub. Let rest for 45 min. Add 3oz pecan or hickory. Cook 5 hours at 225. Good luck!
    U know I heard they use liquid smoke to make those turkey legs from a Disney employee- can u believe that!

Default Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by keith13b View Post
    I put the full recipe on the Smokin Tex Facebook page. The post is too long to list here:

Brine: 1gal water, 1C salt, 1/2C sugar, 2 Tbsp ea: Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, fresh ground pepper, sage, cumin - Brine overnight

Rub: 3 Tbsp onion pwr, 2 Tbsp Paprika, 1 Tbsp garlic pwr, 1 Tbs Pepper, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp sage

Lightly coat the legs with olive oil and add the rub. Let rest for 45 min. Add 3oz pecan or hickory. Cook 5 hours at 225. Good luck!
    I used this recipe with a little extra paprika on 2 full turkey breasts. Set the temp at 225 and pulled them out at 5 hours with an internal temp of 175. I had multiple comments on it being the best turkey they have ever had. Thanks Keith!

I'm a redneck married to a cajun girl and everyone knows you can't get a cajun out of s.w. louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by drmarion View Post
    Thank u Keith .
    I am still struggling w ribs and this smoker. I did basic rib rub w baby backs 4.5 hours at 225. Very good but not quite buttery soft- any tips?.
    the purist will cuss me but if you want your ribs falling off the bone use an old cajun trick and boil them in crab boil for about ten minutes before you smoke them

I went to the Iowa St fair Saturday and after seeing all the people walking around with smoked turkey legs I decided it was time to do my own with my ST1400. I smoked 3 legs and 2 leg/wing sections and followed keith13b's recipe. I did however add apple juice and Worchestire sauce to the 24 hr brine. Boy o boy, where they good! I smoked for 5 hours at 225 and here are the pics Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turkey leg 1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turkey leg 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	220

You bet I have.. Think I even put a post here a year or two ago. It's EASY!! Dust your turkey legs with your favorite dry seasoning. I prefer Head Country's Championship seasoning. Smoke at 225, uncovered for about 1 hour. Now, wrap the turkey legs in foil and allow to continue cooking for an additional 4 hours. You might want to check them after 3 more hours for doneness... Four hours sometimes gets them 'fall off the bone' tender. These are better than any you've had at fairs, etc. and... more tender!