Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry chicken

Default Dry chicken

I smoked a 5 plus pound roaster chicken with a thermometer probe in it until the thermometer registered 170 degrees. It took about 4 hours. The dark meet was fine but the white meat was very dry. Any suggestions on getting juicy white meat with real smoky flavor would be appreciated

Where did you put the probe? White meat can be done at 160* while the dark meat (which takes longer) needs to go to 165*-170*. If you want guaranteed moist chicken, try brining.
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

Default dry chickem

I put the probe in the white meat. Since we have problems with salt Is there a marinade we can use to get a similar result?
    Last edited by cburt; 08-31-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added second sentence

If salt is an issue I would recommend cooking "parts/pieces" as opposed to a whole chicken. Cook the breast to 160* and the dark meat to 170*. Lots of people like to marinade in Italian dressing. I don't think that moistens the chicken, just flavors it.

Try parts & see if that works for you.
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

You can also try injecting...I do it quite often using garlic butter or whatever.

BillyBob

Default Injecting chicken

Have you ever tried injecting with olive oil or vegetable oil?

cburt...sorry for not answering sooner but been sick for 3 weeks and not able to post.

No I have not tried injecting with any type of oil...I mostly use garlic butter,apple juice or bbq sauce.

BillBob

Default Hey Billy Bob

Now that sounds like a injectable mixture. Garlic.butter.apple juice, and BBQ sauce. Bet that can be injected give it a try and let us know.....That would be tasty. Good Luck.....Steve

Hey Billy Bob I sure hope you are feeling better and are fully recovered. When I smoke a chicken I fill the cavity with raw apples and raw onion. Injecting apple juice sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampasteve View Post
    Now that sounds like a injectable mixture. Garlic.butter.apple juice, and BBQ sauce. Bet that can be injected give it a try and let us know.....That would be tasty. Good Luck.....Steve
    Steve...I guess you didn't see the comma or the or. I have used each of these with great results.

BillyBob