Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 1400 User. Needing some help on Ribs

The main culprit for blackened ribs is sugar in your rub. Processed (white) sugar burns at a low temp. Try substituting Turbinado or "Sugar in the Raw". Both are less processed and can take a little more heat.

On the membrane issue, it's just a matter of technique & practice. There are a couple of decent youtube videos out there that explain the process.

Also, you might try putting your rub on just a couple of hours before smoking. If you have much salt in your rub, an overnighter can draw out moisture.

Just a few thoughts.
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

Default Ribs

I don't use sugar in my rubs -I'm diabetic and it doesn't sit well with me. I don't think I kept them in too long because the others were exactly the same length of time. Both batches tasted excellent and were perfectly done - except for the blackness of the first batch.

Two other (or more) issues could be the culprit. First, dirty smoke. Actually, all you want is the nearly clear, blue smoke. Allow you wood to smolder until the white (dirty) smoke disappears then put your ribs in.

Second, paprika will burn similar to sugar.

If all that's disappointing to you is the looks, I sure wouldn't fret it much. Now, if the taste is off, a bit on the bitter side, creosote-ladened smoke may be the issue.

Just a couple more ideas.
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

I use the following method on ribs in my 1800
    rub 1 part cumen
    1 part paprika
    1 part black pepper
    4 parts sea salt
    I apply rub no more than couple hours before cooking
    turn cooker wide open which is 250 degrees on the 1800
    I use a very small amount of white oak wood because I do not like black ribs

after 3 hours in the smoker I base with a NC vinegar sauce and foil
    after 1 hour of cooking foiled I remove from the foil, base again and return to smoker until done-usually around another hour

tender and juicy

Herman