Thread: Turkey Size?

Default Turkey Size?

I'd like to know the largest size of turkey I can easily put in my 1100 smoker? Thanks!

(I also posted this on the recipe page, but think this would be a better place.)

My previous experience with a larger smoker resulted in this note. Even though now i have a ST. The manufacturer of my old smoker had a very viable warning when smoking turkeys. Please keep in mind when you put a cold bird in your smoker and cook at relatively low temps. The possibility exist to spoil your meat before getting it cooked. In other words while the internal temp of a turkey is increasing slowly. The meat could spoil before reaching a safe cooking temp. Therefore a bird larger than 12lbs could possible spoil before reaching a safe smoking temp. Maybe someone else will mention their experiences. Its getting that time of year when alt of us will be smoking a variety of the best smoked meats around. So lets get smokin and postin and together we can help each other......Steve

ESK...it recommended to cook turkey at 50 min per lb on the ST. However, if your 1100's heating element is a 500 and not a 800, as in the 1400's, a 12 lb max is recommended.

BillyBob

I will spatchcock a turkey, cutting it into two halves. These lie flat on the racks and cook probably faster than a whole bird, and take up less space. I find this to be a lot easier to brine and store in the fridge than a whole turkey.

Thanks for the information! I'll keep my turkey in the 10 to 12 pound range.

I also like the idea of butterflying the turkey if it seems too tight of a fit, or just to cook it a bit faster.

Regarding the size of the heating element, I don't think it makes much of a difference, since the cooking temperature is controlled by a thermostat. With a smaller smoker, it can use a smaller heating element to maintain the set cooking temperature.

Thanks for posting!