Thread: Amount of Wood

Default Amount of Wood

I'm waiting on my first SmokinTex to arrive and I'm reading up, getting prepared! I've noticed that a few of the recipes on the smokintex site don't give a wood amount. The smoked potatoes for instance. What would be the proper amount? I have both chips and chunks. Thanks!

Default Wood

My recommendation is to start with very small amounts of wood. I use chunks and normally one maybe two if they are small chunks will do the trick. Also, the type of wood you choose makes a difference. Lance

CC1MAN...I agree with Lance...I have never done potatoes. However, I am one who likes a lot of smoke in my meat and use 4-8oz. Just make sure you use good cured wood.

BillyBob

Default Not too much wood.

I'm about one year into it with my 1400. When I started out I would put about 6 oz. in the woodbox every two hours but it was too much smoke. That measurement is based on filling a measuring cup with wood chips. Now I only put about 6 oz. total for a 4 hour smoke.

I buy bags of chips from Sportsmans Warehouse. I started out using wood BBQ pellets but I switched to chips because I had read a negative comment about the wood pellet manufacturing process which said 80% of a pellet consists of filler material and that the filler is the same regardless of whether the bag says cherry, hickory, apple, etc. I don't know if this is true but it makes sense. However, on a more empirical note it has been my observation that chips definitely burn better than pellets in my 1400.
    Yukon Merle[I]

Yukon...try using chunks...I likem the alot better.

BillyBob
    Last edited by BillyBob; 04-25-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Since I got a sample of chips with my 1400 purchase I found that a full handful of chips was roughly 2 oz of wood. Two handfuls (~4 oz) at the start of the smoke is plenty. If I add, say, a tenderloin after I started a rack of ribs, I'll throw in another handful of chips after I add the second meat. Wear gloves. That wood box is HOT. DAHIK. The heat cooks the meat. The smoke just flavors it. Like many have said before in this forum, just close the door, let the smoke die out and pull the meat out when it hits the right temperature. Set and forget.

I like the chunks but remember, a little goes a long way.

I simply saw off small branches from wild plum, pecan or hickory. Make SURE and let them dry before you use them. This takes a month or so.