Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auber Dual Probe

Hello NQ,

I am just installing an Auber dual PID in a smoker similar to the 1400. Have you needed to change the PID setting from the factory Bradley setting?

I.E.

P = 70
    I = 600
    D= 150

I haven't played with it much, but if I don't have to re-invent the wheel...

Thanks,
    TBSguy

Northern Q,

I have some questions about how the Auber controls temp. How is it connected to your SmokinTex so that it controls temp?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Default connect auber to heat

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    Northern Q,

I have some questions about how the Auber controls temp. How is it connected to your SmokinTex so that it controls temp?
    I purchased the controller with the built in sst controller. The rating was just high enough for the single burner. I took an amp reading before I purchased it. But it turns out that the simple on/off mode works better than the actual PID control. The control is so worried about over shooting the temp that it starts turning off the heat long before the set temp is reached. More importantly, the burner doesn't run long enough to produce smoke. I just set mine to operate plus or minus 5 degrees and it works great, usually plus 1 or 2 degrees. Way better than stock of +/- 20 degrees.
    I am going to purchase the AUBER that has the single display line and a meat probe to turn the whole system off when internal temp is reached. I have had it with these cheap remote thermometers.
    Last edited by AceofSpd; 01-16-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    Northern Q,

DReeves,

I did this conversion too. Extremely happy with the results. Here is a link to my conversion with some photos. There is a parts list with links too for most of it from Auber. problem with the plug-n-play from auber, is that your smokin tex thermostat is still in-line, so if it is low now, the auber will be low too.

My problem started because the stock thermostat was 20-30 degrees low. No way to recalibrate.
    Last edited by djousma; 01-17-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks, Djousma,

I really like things simple. And I like that my SmokinTex 1500 works well, just the way it is, no mods

I'm happy yours is working for you
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Sorry, mis-interpreted your questions about the auber as interest in doing something different.
    SmokinTex 1400. Smokin since 2012
    See my PID modifications here.

To be fair to you, I was asking to see if this option might be simple to implement.... so you were not off base.

I simply changed my mind after reading your description. No harm no foul!

Northern Q How has your smoker continued to work with the plug n play unit? Is there a way to change out the stock sensor to update it to be more accurate one?

I am debating on getting a plug n play unit for my 1400 or building a PID SSR system for mine. I like the plug in play where I can have multiple stages of temps for when doing sausage n so forth.

Concerning the Dual probe...
    Curious if anyone has wall mounted the probe permanently and if so did you mount it horizontally with the back wall as the stock probe is or did you just have it stick straight in.
    Thanks
    1500CXLD, Amerique, PG1000, Tappecue, Thermopen
    Good Meat deserves a REST!
    It's done when it's done and
    If you're happy with the results, that's ALL that matters