Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: whole bone-in ham

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Did the ham this weekend, actually a butt end half ham. Gave it 200 degrees for 3 1/2 hours, and mostly apple chips with a few maple chips mixed in. Dinner was good, but boy, the leftovers are awesome! That smoke worked it's way in, and I can't wait for bean soup when I get a little more meat off the bone. Still have to get a little more off the bone to cube up with scrambled eggs....

I will say, when I do it again, I'll probably bump the temp to 250 for the same time, and the same wood mix. The ham was a pre-cooked from the store, but it could have been hotter as I was slicing it. I think 250 will do that on the next one.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Did the ham this weekend, actually a butt end half ham. Gave it 200 degrees for 3 1/2 hours, and mostly apple chips with a few maple chips mixed in. Dinner was good, but boy, the leftovers are awesome! That smoke worked it's way in, and I can't wait for bean soup when I get a little more meat off the bone. Still have to get a little more off the bone to cube up with scrambled eggs....

I will say, when I do it again, I'll probably bump the temp to 250 for the same time, and the same wood mix. The ham was a pre-cooked from the store, but it could have been hotter as I was slicing it. I think 250 will do that on the next one.

Was it a pre-smoked ham? I just picked one up from Meijer but all that I could find that was pre-cooked bone-in was previously smoked. The one I grabbed was a Shank. I generally hate ham like this but I figured I would give it a try since my wife loves ham.

Yes, mine was previously smoked.

I think the only way you'd find a raw ham is to go to a butcher, and the only way to find a pre-cooked but unsmoked would be go to a processor, and maybe not even then. Every ham in the store will be pre-cooked and smoked since they're from major processors and that's kind of the industry standard. They're cooked and smoked together in a huge oven.

That said, most hams have some degree of hickory smoke, since that's what folks expect, but most of them don't get near the amount of smoke we can put on them. I've re-smoked sausage as well, and the level of smoke and depth of it is so much better that what the "factory" does.

Shanks usually have a nicer bone, but more connective tissue, and the butt has less bone and it's meatier, but you give up a little fat. Kind of like the top vs the bottom on a pork butt (which is actually the front shoulder).
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 05-15-2015 at 07:49 AM.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Hi Deep South, I'll be using Hickory Wood Chips. How many ounces and do I have to put more in if those smolder away. I have 2 bone in fully cooked store bought hams I'm doing and I have a new 1400 on the way. I plan on doing them 1 at a time.
    I'm looking for a basic recipe/instructions. I have the internal thermometer and I also have the cold smoking plate. Just trying to get a game plan for next weekend since I plan on sharing with multiple people over Christmas.
    Let me know if you have any input that you think might help. My Hams are about 11-12 lbs and they are Smithfield Hardwood Smoked bone-in Hams (Currently Frozen).
    Thanks,
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by jfhadley View Post
    Hi Deep South, I'll be using Hickory Wood Chips. How many ounces and do I have to put more in if those smolder away. I have 2 bone in fully cooked store bought hams I'm doing and I have a new 1400 on the way. I plan on doing them 1 at a time.
    I'm looking for a basic recipe/instructions. I have the internal thermometer and I also have the cold smoking plate. Just trying to get a game plan for next weekend since I plan on sharing with multiple people over Christmas.
    Let me know if you have any input that you think might help. My Hams are about 11-12 lbs and they are Smithfield Hardwood Smoked bone-in Hams (Currently Frozen).
    Thanks,
    Joel
    While we're waiting for Deep South, if you're looking for ore basic a recipe, I'd consider 3 oz of wood chunks, 4 charcoal briquettes, a starting temp of 225-250, and about 6 hours with a thawed ham, looking for an internal of 160-165. That'll give you a nice, straight-up smoked ham for your first run. Obviously, if you want to go fancier, that's up to you. I'd still only be in that 3 oz range with Deep South's cook. Meat only takes smoke for the first 3-4 hours, so a pile of wood is only going to intensify the smoke flavor, and I've found more wood isn't necessarily better, and can sometimes be worse. Ultimately it's about your taste compared to mine, but I'd rather undersmoke than oversmoke. Under is still edible, over can be pretty overpowering.

Thanks BigWalleye. Super Advice. Since I haven't combined wood chips and charcoal in doing any smoking, do I simply put the cold charcoal briquettes in the wood box against bare metal or on top of the wood chips/chunks?

Just put 'em in there.

Excellent, Thanks All.

ia_james beat me to it. Yup, about 4 on most cooks, scatter them around. The charcoal with the wood gives a whole 'nuther level of flavor!