Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Smokin Turkey Tips From SmokinTex

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

A few more questions. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but to see if we can help prevent further issues.
    Did you have a temp probe in the cabinet itself? You can search this site for the procedure to verify the cabinet temp. It sounds as if the cabinet temp may be significantly higher than the dial position indicates. How new is the smoker? Did you inject the bird or not? I assume the bird was not stuffed. Correct?
    4.5 hours sounds extremely short to me for that size bird.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I must admit, I am at a loss of words. I believe bigwalleye is on to something. I am interested in hearing about cabinet temp.

And if you did not measure cabinet (smoker) temp during the cook, maybe you could try it empty. No, not the same as having an 18 lb bird in the box, but might show what is going on with the thermostat.

Also, what size smokintex do you have?

Thanks.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Model 1400. I am going to clean the probe and take cabinet temps. Gotta try something. Let you know what numbers I get. Thanks for your help.

We are always here to help. We have all been there, when a cook took longer (or faster) than expected.

I've given this some more thought. All I can think of is the temp knob is not calibrated to the actual temp, which the probe test you're going to run will answer, or the probes were too far in and actually were nearer the inside of the bird, giving erroneous temps.

You said the bird was "burned". Did you cut the bird open or not? Was the skin burned or was the meat burned/charred? Makes me suspect a temp issue.
    Any smoke leakage out of the box with the door closed? Reason I ask is folks generally indicate the skin is rubbery and not "done" when the bird is cooked through. If it's truly burned, make me think "temp problem". Reason I asked if you'd cut it: A very high cabinet temp and charred skin would suggest the inner or center breast meat may not be done, which would again suggest a temp issue.

Keep in mind you will see some variation +/- your set temp. In other words, a 225 setting will likely NOT yield 225 constant, usually more like your oven in the house, 225 is the average, and the thermocouple will turn the unit on/off to regulate the temp, so a 225 setting may run like 210 on the low side, and I'd expect it to be 245 on the high side, but the average will be about 225.Please keep track of the temp and variations as you run your test.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Skin was black. Meat was very, very dry, dark as well as white meat. No leakage around the door. I have been checking the smoker for the last three hours at 30 minute intervals. Smoker set to 225 degrees. Outside air temp between 61-63 degrees. At 11am, probe #1 (front of smoker) 257 degrees, probe #2, (rear or smoker) 255 degrees, 11:30 am probe 1, 230 degrees, probe 2, 243 degrees, 12:00, probe 1, 221 degrees, probe 2, 242 degrees, 12:30pm, probe 1, 215 degrees, probe 2, 227 degrees, 1:00 pm, probe 1, 219 degrees, probe 2, 232 degrees, 1:30 pm, probe1, 217 degrees, probe 2, 217 degrees. From what I am reading it seems right where it should be. So we may be looking at operator error??? I figured after 5 years I would have this ALMOST figured out but maybe not. Shoot me now!!!

No need to shoot a good cook.... you have many good smokes left in ya

Look at the bright side.... at least you know your smoker is working as it should! Mark this up to experience, that's all.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I wish I knew what I did wrong?

I think I have figured out what you did wrong...NOTHING.

Temps appear fine, technique appears fine, smoker appears fine.

On the bright side, it does appear you win the "stunp the fool" game! I think you did it exactly as I would have, as well as many others.
    Only thing I can figure is it was an "old" bird, one that didn't have much fat on it (dry), causing a lot faster cook. Probably not much of a consolation, but I'm fresh out of ideas. Thought you said an 18 lber, which would play into the theory.

I would, though, encourage you to try again, perhaps with a smaller bird, just to prove to yourself that it really sn't you.