Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smokin Turkey Tips From SmokinTex

johnfred01 Guest

Hello friends how r u all i am new here and i want to get more information about smokers products.

Welcome, Johnfred01,

You have come to the right place for information and answers. Many questions are answered by reading through the forum. If you have a specific question, please feel free to ask.

You will find that the group here are BBQ enthusiasts, and our passion and love for all things smoked is evident. Especially strong is our love of SmokinTex.

Enjoy!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Default Perfect Turkey - 18 LB Butterball

Results:
    I finally pulled it our since it was time to eat. BOTH probes showed only about 165. But, the breast was completely done, and MOISTER and better than any dark meat I or my guests had ever had. Although I cut the breast, it was almost too tender to cut, reminding me of pulled pork. Only the skin was not tender enough to be great, (as it generally is with a chicken).

-- 18 LB Butterball without soaking.
    -- Dry rub over and under the skin (see video this site for how): garlic, salt, pepper, cajun spice (Never had "too spicy" complaints)
    -- BREAST side down, legs tucked in the skin flap
    -- 2 probes --- breast and thigh
    -- Placed on highest possible normal rack, sideways,
    -- Pan under turkey on a lower rack to catch drips for gravy
    -- 10 oz of hickory
    -- 225 for 15 hours Both probes only reached about 165 degrees.

Serving:

I had to leave the turkey on the rack with pan under it to dismember it, as it would have fallen apart to pick it up whole. I totally de-bone, and arrange white/dark meat on a platter, tossing the bones in a handy trash can as I go. Guests waste less, take only the kind of meat they want, and can take or leave the skin.

Gravy:

I started with a pre-heated pint of rue that I had already made and frozen a year before. When the turkey was done, it only took 5-10 minutes to make great rue-based gravy. I mixed in all the juices from the pan, added cream or half and half to thin to appropriate thickness, and served.

EASY and bulletproof RUE, which can be pre-frozen:
    Use a DRY non-stick pan and non-scatch spatula. One cup of flour over medium heat. Continue to stir, scraping the bottom and mixing it in with the unheated flour, (it doesn't stick much, but this is the key). All the flour will start to turn light brown and smell like popcorn. There will be a very light smoke, but not much. The flour becomes more course and seems to stick in very small clumps as it cooks. Use a bright light because the light brown will darken considerably when wet. When done to your specs, turn down the heat. Add EITHER 1 stick of butter (1/4 Lb), or equivalent amount of olive oil. Mix/cook it in, seasoning with salt and pepper. The rue will be much darker now, even without cooking. (Slightly browning the butter can be done now.) You can either thin it out now, or freeze it. To thin, add 2-3 times as much water-based liquid.

Why DRY rue??
    This method avoids sticking and smoking with the high heat required to brown the flour when the oil is used. Browning occurs in only about 60 seconds when oil and flour are combined, making it very hard to control. When flour is browned with this dry method, it is easy to control the degree of browning over 5-10 minutes.

Lots of good info. Couple of questions.
    1. Do you plan on the bird cooking for 40 or 50 minutes a pound?
    2. When finished are the temps 165 degrees for the breast and 180 for the thigh?
    Sorry for asking what has probably been asked 100times before.

Default My .02 - spend it wisely :)

Quote Originally Posted by dei08dei View Post
    Lots of good info. Couple of questions.
    1. Do you plan on the bird cooking for 40 or 50 minutes a pound?
    2. When finished are the temps 165 degrees for the breast and 180 for the thigh?
    Sorry for asking what has probably been asked 100times before.
    Questions are great! This is how we learn!

165 for the entire bird. I generally go for 160 in the breast, knowing that the bird will continue to rise an additional 5 degrees F while resting under foil.

Here is a great article for reference: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/c...m_medium=email

You can plan on 45 minutes per pound, but it's best to go by internal temp. We want everyone returning for Thanksgiving next year. Well, almost everyone
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    Questions are great! This is how we learn!

165 for the entire bird. I generally go for 160 in the breast, knowing that the bird will continue to rise an additional 5 degrees F while resting under foil.

Here is a great article for reference: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/c...m_medium=email

You can plan on 45 minutes per pound, but it's best to go by internal temp. We want everyone returning for Thanksgiving next year. Well, almost everyone
    Thanks for the FAST reply. Better than FedEx!

Recipe here calls for an internal temp of 180 in breast:
    http://www.smokintex.com/Recipes/Rec...rryturkey.html

That seems very high to me and would lead to a dryer bird. Has anyone tried this and let the bird get this warm? Was it moist?

Is there a specific dry rub to use under the skin with the marinade? Or will the dry rub wash away when submerged? (Unless applied after it comes out of the marinade bag). I am going all-out this Thanksgiving and want to make sure I forget nothing!
    Thanks for the reply.

tdibill,
    We have corrected the internal temp of the smoked turkey breast to 170F. Thanks for calling that to our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by dei08dei View Post
    Is there a specific dry rub to use under the skin with the marinade? Or will the dry rub wash away when submerged? (Unless applied after it comes out of the marinade bag). I am going all-out this Thanksgiving and want to make sure I forget nothing!
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is there a dry rub to use with the marinade???