Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Smokin Turkey Tips From SmokinTex

Does anyone know, do you rinse the brine off prior to smoking the turkey?

Disaster. It is currently 3:25am. Both temp probes are showing 172degrees. The 18 pound turkey has been on for only 4.5 hours! How can this be? It was set at 225 degrees. I have turned it down to 150 degrees but we are not suppose to eat for another 9 hours. Thanksgiving shot!!! I am going to turn it back up to 225 and cook it for the original planned time. I am so screwed.
    Last edited by dei08dei; 11-28-2013 at 07:03 AM.

First, you may be ok. If my cook finishes early, I grab an ice chest, fill it with hot water. This heats up the inside. After 30 minutes, pour out the water. Place some old towels in the bottom.

Place your bird in an aluminum pan, covered in foil. This should hold temp for several hours. This method can also help preserve juiciness.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

To answer your first question, yes, rinse your bird after brining. Pat dry with paper towels.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Any idea why it was done so fast?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Where were the temp probes in the bird? Did you verify with another thermometer in the breast? How big was the bird? How long had you cooked it when you posted at 3 am?
    More info will help diagnose or save the bird.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

What BigWalleye said
    Last edited by DReeves; 11-28-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Grammar!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Where were the temp probes in the bird? Did you verify with another thermometer in the breast? How big was the bird? How long had you cooked it when you posted at 3 am?
    More info will help diagnose or save the bird.
    One in the breast and one in the thigh. Did not verify breast temp. Bird was 18lbs. It has been cooking just over 4 hours.Thanks for the reply.

I think you will be ok. Some birds cook faster than others.

How do you plan a meal when you hear 30-45 minutes a pound. You expect it to take about 13 hours and it takes 4.5 hours? We trashed the turkey. It was burned.