Thread: Smoking Spices

Default Smoking Spices

Folks, here's what I've come up with to make smoking spices easy. Late May, I visited a couple of bourbon distilleries in Bardstown Kentucky. Their gift shops had smoked black peppercorns, cracked black pepper, coarse salt, red pepper flakes, garlic, etc. All smoked with bourbon barrel wood! Delicious, but very pricey. Now that I've got my 1400, I wanted to give it a try myself. I got an 11 inch splatter screen for a buck at the Dollar Tree store. Took off the handle in the middle which I replaced with a small bolt, a nut, and a couple of washers to fill the hole. Now you have a fine mesh screen that will lay on the SmokinTex rack so you can smoke as fine a spice or herb as you want. I used Jim Beam barrel wood to smoke black peppercorns and coarse sea salt. 1 1/2 - 2 hours at 200 F. VOILA! These are my first efforts. Tastes fantastic. I would assume finer ground items and pepper flakes like cayenne would go for a shorter time. I'll add to this post when I try. See the attached pictures. The salt and peppercorns were already packed in a grinder topped glass jar I got at ALDI's for $1.19 each. Dollar Tree has them for only a buck. Took the labels off while smoking. Each screen will hold the contents of four grinder jars. Great gifts, even for yourself! Nothing better on eggs sunny side up!
    Last edited by CC1MAN; 12-31-2010 at 05:57 PM.

CC1MAN...nice...great idea!!!

BillyBob