Thread: Bourbon Barrel Wood

Default Bourbon Barrel Wood

Folks, here's a wood I've been using for several years on the grill, but now I wanted to try it on my new 1400. Bags of Jim Beam and Jack Daniels barrel wood chips are hard to locate, so here's how to solve the problem of availability. I purchased a Jim Beam barrel several years ago in Bardstown, Kentucky.(The Bourbon Capital of the world!) I took all the metal bands off and cut the staves into small chunks. Even the lid. Many stores like Walmart and Kmart have whiskey barrels available in their gardening departments during the spring and summer. You'll love the flavor this wood puts in all kinds of food! See the attached picture.
    Last edited by CC1MAN; 01-01-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Just an FYI, I've seen Jack Daniels wood chips at Academy Sporting Goods. However great idea CC1MAN.
    L J

That is a great idea, I have also heard of people making dirty whisky from them as well

Thanks for the tip...I have been wanting to try this!!!

BillBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Thanks for the tip. Any idea what kind of wood whiskey barrels are made from?

It is my understanding that American white oak is used for Bourbon barrels. Oak smoke is a personal favorite and is a bit milder than hickory.

Jack

That sounds very tempting. Probably produce a very tasty rack of ribs or a butt...Thanks for the input,,,Steve

I've been doing the same thing with red wine barrels for a while. Whiskey would be a great change-up!

My brother in law works at Barton Distillery in Bardstown, KY, and he gives me plastic bags full of whiskey barrel bungs (corks) that they knock out and discard after the whiskey is aged. They are the perfect size for the ST wood box, and impart great flavor to anything I smoke.
    Wes