Thread: First Pork Shoulder

Default First Pork Shoulder

Here is my first pork shoulder. It was 7.5 lbs pre-cooked weight. I used a store bought rub and smoked it with 3oz of pecan for about 12 hours (to internal temp of 190). Unfortunately it did not finish until after I should have already left for work this morning (for any doubters about cold weather smoking, it smoked all night last night with a low temp of about 20deg) so I had to wrap it in foil and go ahead and refrigerate it.

I am planning on re-heating it in the foil in order to pull it tonight when I get home. Anyone had to do it this way before? What internal temp should I reheat to for the purposes of pulling? I do not mind it taking a while cause I can be cooking the sauce while it reheats....

DavidJ3d...try putting it the oven at 300 for 2hrs...check internal and add 1hr until you get it where you want it. That's what I do.

BillyBob

Default Thanks

BillyBob did as you suggested and it basically just fell apart in my hands.

David, A picture is worth a thousand words. Looks very good. Enjoy your ST,,,,Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ3d View Post
    Here is my first pork shoulder. It was 7.5 lbs pre-cooked weight. I used a store bought rub and smoked it with 3oz of pecan for about 12 hours (to internal temp of 190). Unfortunately it did not finish until after I should have already left for work this morning (for any doubters about cold weather smoking, it smoked all night last night with a low temp of about 20deg) so I had to wrap it in foil and go ahead and refrigerate it.

I am planning on re-heating it in the foil in order to pull it tonight when I get home. Anyone had to do it this way before? What internal temp should I reheat to for the purposes of pulling? I do not mind it taking a while cause I can be cooking the sauce while it reheats....
    David,
    I regularly smoke pork butts in cold weather that have taken 15 hours or more. It is a common practice to smoke for 3-4 hours and finish cooking in your oven. This also makes it easier to the time it's done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frozen grease by ctimmer.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	392
    Note the grease stalactite under the smoker.

Curt

ctimmer....I have never seen grease do that before...that's wild lookin!!!

BillyBob

Default Question for Curt

Curt-

Is that just a temperature probe on top of your ST or did you add separate digital controller or PID?

I have seen a little discussion of using something like the DigiQ for better temp control and was just wondering if that was what I was seeing.

That greasecicle is crazy..

Thanks,

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ3d View Post
    Curt-

Is that just a temperature probe on top of your ST or did you add separate digital controller or PID?

I have seen a little discussion of using something like the DigiQ for better temp control and was just wondering if that was what I was seeing.

That greasecicle is crazy..

Thanks,

DJ
    Yes I did add a PID controller. Keeps the temperature range lower.

Curt

Thumbs up

All I can say is "WOW".