Thread: First Smoke, got a wood question.

Default First Smoke, got a wood question.

First smoke went well, temp in the 20's got the st up to 219 in about 3 hours. Two whole chickens were very good. Used 3 oz of cherry chips. Can someone explain the advantage to wood chunks, chips, or pelletts. Using a ST 1400.

medic795,

I use either chips or chunks, I see no difference except if you use wood chunks some people like to remove the bark. They say too much causes a bitter flavor.
    L J

I agree with brewmaster...I don't see that it makes a difference...just the amount used.

BillyBob

Thanks, just wondering. I saw were ST sells all three.

I would try all three, different woods lend a different flavor. I prefer apple and cherry however it depends on what you are smoking. Apple and cherry lends a subtle/mild flavor for chicken, pork and fish. Cedar wood is also good for fish. If you are smoking beef, I like hickory, pecan or oak, I think it compliments the heavy flavor of beef.

Of course this is my opinion, you just need to experiment with your taste buds.
    L J

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the above. I find that wood "chips" burn up too quickly. I get much more mileage out of a 3-4 oz chunk of wood than I do out of the same amount of chips. Now, I do use chips when I smoke cheese because they ignite fast & I only need about 20-30 minutes of smoke.

Whatever floats your boat & works for you...
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

Wheelz...I do agree with you...I use chunks for that reason...I was refering to the fact that I see no difference in the flavor between chips and chunks...and I cut good size chunks to fit in the box because I like alot of smoke.

Jim

Gotcha, Jim. My bad on the misunderstanding. See what happens when you get old?
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!