Thread: Wood chip amount?

Default Wood chip amount?

I have my new 1400 smoker but could not find the wood chuncks. I have found bags of large wood chips. If I use the wood chips do I stay with the same weight of chips as I would with chunks?

Regards
    Michael

Ii always use chunks of wood. And cut my own wood chunks up. But if using chips I would try them at half the amount of chips to work chunks.
    You can take a apple limb or peach limb hickory stick and make your own wood. I have pieces most time that weight around 2 oz's each.
    Did you not get the wood with your smoker??
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Pete,
    The wood was black and moldy. I didn't dare use it. I just ended up using some pretty large hickory chips that I picked up at Sportsmans warehouse. It seed to work well. Yesterday I did a brisket. It turned out great but could have used a few more hours in the smoker. A we bit tough.

Michael

Glad to hear the chips worked out. Also it shows in the directions to just add foil to the bottom of the box. And then use chips.
    It takes a while to learn the smoker. Also I use one of these Thermometer's
    https://id214.chi.us.securedata.net/...products_id=11
    Different cuts of meats will take longer to cook. And I go by the temps. Not the time. Also plan to have it done at least 3 hours early. Then I wrap it and store in a cooler. That way if it takes longer its still done.
    Will be smoking 4 Boston butts this weekend. For a person that will average around 9 lbs each. And they will be done by 8 am. And hold them in a cooler until they pick them up around 11 am.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Wood chunks will work best. I have found them at some of the major home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot. Usually they have hickory and Mequite, sometimes cherry. I would be real careful with the mesquite wood though. It can very easily make for a bitter smoke and can over power some cuts of meat. Chicken really absorbs the smoke flavor and mesquite is generally a bit too much for that. Its good for some cuts of pork and beef, but I have learned that hickory, sweet maple and apple are all good woods that leave a nice smoke flavor. Cherry is also a good one. The bacon Im doing this weekend will be 1/2 hickory and 1/2 sweet maple.

I have always wanted to try pecan as I have heard its good, but I havent found any yet.

Have fun!
    Len
    ST1400 and loving it

I really like smoking with pear wood but have had great success wth pecan, hickory, peach and even plum.The real trick is not to use GREEN wood. I choose limbs that are about 1 inch in diameter and saw pieces about 6 inches long, put this in a bucket and allow them to dry. This size fits perfectly in the wood pan on my Smokin Tex.
    Happy outdoor cooking to you! In my humble opinion, you're using the very best electric smoker on the market today! Luke Clayton

Hey Luke, I have some plum that I cut up this summer. Im going to give it a try in the spring, but your the first person I heard of that has used it. Cool!
    ST1400 and loving it

Any fruit trees will work. I use apple. Pecan, plum, Pear, Grape vine hickory, peach.. Even used some persimmon one time. And it was good.
    But Like Luke make sure its dry.
    Pete

Default Fig Wood

Has anyone used Fig wood is this wood safe to smoke?