Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trimmed Brisket Recipe

Default Trimmed Brisket Recipe

Hey all,

Kinda new here, just received my 1400 today and am excited to smoke this weekend. My friend was aso excited and purchased a 7 pound brisket for the occassion. Only issue is it's a trimmed brisket, so about 2 inches thick and flat with no fat cap. Does anyone have a recipe or and tips to make this first non-standard brisket a success? I looked through the recipes but didn't see any mention of a trimmed brisket. Thank you in advance.

zkirby77

zkirby...I am no expert on brisket...but you might try the following:

1) Coat the brisket with your choice of oil and apply your fovorit rub.
    2) Wrap or put in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 1 or 2 hrs or over night if possible.
    3) Set your ST 1400 at your desired temperature 225-250 and put in smoker, add desired amout of wood chuncks.
    4) If you have one, and I highly recommend one, insert a remote digital thermometer such as a maverick ET-73/E-732.
    5) Cook until internal temp reaches 180F.
    6) Pull out of smoker and wrap in a double layer of heavy-duty foil...pour in a cup of beaf broth or beer and seal tight( I also put mine in a foil pan just in case it lesks)
    7) Cook to internal of 190-205.
    8) Pull wrap in cloth towels and place in a cooler for 1-2hrs to rest.
    Good Luck!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Default I'll go with this recipe

One question though. After I place it in foil do I keep cooking in the smoker or place it in the oven? Also do you think I need to start cooking it the night before or will it be cooked enough if I start around 7am and plan to eat at 7 pm. I do have a digital thermometer so will be cooking with it in the meat the entire time. Thanks again for all the help Billybob.

Yes put it back in the smoker...and yes start the night before just to be save...plan on 16-18 plus.
    Let me know how it comes out.

BillyBob

Billybob,

Thanks for the recipe, I followed it almost to the T. Heres the rundown.

1:30 AM placed the rubbed brisket in the smoker on 215 with 4 oz of hickory chips.
    6:30 AM checked the temp = 143
    around 10:30 AM temp was 176
    around 1200 temp was 183 (got higher than I wanted) so I wrapped and added the 1/2 cup of beer and placed it back into the smoker on 250.
    1.5 hours later the brisket reached 189 and I wrapped it in towels and placed into a small cooler.

Unwrapped to eat at 6 PM. The brisket was still steaming hot, (too hot to touch).

As for the brisket, it was more tender than I could have imagined but a little on the dry side and cooked well done (there was no pink anywhere inside) nothing some good BBQ sauce couldn't help. Flavor was a light smoky and very tasty but I would have preferred more smoke flavor

So here's what I think I'll try next time, tell me if it sound crazy but I desire a little less cooked (medium vice well) and want it juicier and smokier.

1) Place in smoker with 4 oz of chips on 190 degrees. 3 hours later replace the chips with new chips and keep smoking for another 3 hours for a total of 6 hours.

2) At 6 hours wrap brisket and continue to cook at 190 degrees until 170 degrees internal temp (or should I go less like 160 to get medium) at which time I'll wrap and store in a cooler.

By doing this I hope to introduce more smoke in the first 6 hours as well as cook it slower to give it time to break down and become tender and I hope to cook it a bit less so as not to end up with well done brisket.

Thoughts?

zkirby77...I like more smoke than most people so I use chunks and about 8oz...I don't have to add more later. The internal temp will just depend on the way you perfer it...160-170 should get you medium.

BillyBob

BillyBob is right but 160-170 will not get you a real tender brisket imo. Likely the reason yours was dry was because it was a trimmed brisket.

11/11/2011 9:21AM
    Reply to: “Trimmed Brisket Recipe “
    Trimmed Brisket is the best to use; I buy the “Flat” at my local wholesale club.
    I generally purchase 6-8 pound sizes …
    (1) I rinse the brisket off in cold water, and dry with a paper towel.

(2) I first rub the leaner side first.
    a. With French’s Yellow Mustard, and then use the Fiesta Brand “Brisket Rub” to completely coat that side.

(3) I then place the brisket fat side up on the cooking rack and repeat the same process.
    a. With French’s Yellow Mustard, and then use the Fiesta Brand “Brisket Rub” to completely coat that side.

(4) I line the bottom of my SmokinTex 1400 with foil and then foil the top of the chip lid. This make for much easier clean up.

(5) I the load the SmokinTex 1400 chip tray with Hickory & Pecan, plus I add 2-4 charcoal briquettes to help secure a nice smoke ring.

(6) I then load my cooking racks with already prepared Flats and I use the Maverick Dual Probe wireless Cooking Thermometer and insert them in to the thickest part of the largest flats and the anther in to the thicket part of the smallest flat. This way I can watch the temperature on the largest as well as the smallest to better judge the overall cooking time.

(7) I set my SmokinTex 1400 to 225-230 and when the internal temperature reaches 165-170 I then will place the Flats in to Aluminum 1/2 size steamer insert pans and cover with the to Aluminum 1/2 size steamer insert lids. (Also purchased at my local wholesale club) ….

(8) I close my SmokinTex 1400 door and in 2-3 hours remove the flats from the smoker and let rest for about 1 hour.

(9) Then end result if the best, moist, and tender brisket you will ever eat.

I own several other electric smokers, and have cooked many briskets on them. And it was a pain to figure out the right process. But when I first got the SmokinTex 1400 and after following the seasoning process, I then cooked my 100th – 104th briskets. And they all were the best I had ever cooked. All I had to do was prep, load, and lock, and the SmokinTex 1400 did the rest.

n5zbj,
    Thanks so much for bringing awesome "samples" of your smoked brisket flats to our office.
    Moist and tender and delicious!!!
    Thanks for sharing your SmokinTex Experience and happy smokin!
    The appreciative SmokinTex Staff

n5zbj

Hello,your way to cook Brisket look's nice and straight forward,2 questions,what are 1/2 size aluminum steamer insert pans,I'm out on the west coast here, is that what their called all over the country or is it a certain size pan or a type of pan.
    Next question when you put the brisket back in do you leave the temperature set @ 225-230.
    Thanks

PS: I'm loving my new 1400,I've done ribs 3 times,nice and juicy everytime,Baby Back and Saint Louis Style both.