Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trimmed Brisket Recipe

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

SmokinFL,
    Welcome to the club!!
    You a brave man, first smoke on a brisket! Most of us have a brisket in the freezer as a long term inflation hedge investment, considering what the cost of these babies have done over the last couple years. Seems like a better rate of return than the stock market...
    Regarding the time to check internal temp. With 8 lbs, 225 degrees, and a 165 target, I'd be inclined to check the temp at about the 8 hour mark, maybe a little longer.
    I have found that if i have to open the door on a multi-item cook, i cheat and bring a paper cup with 1/2-3/4 of an inch of water in the bottom. Do your temp check, toss the water onto the top of the smoke box, and close 'er up again. It vaporizes right away, and adds back some off the moisture lost by opening the door.

Good luck and let us know the results. If we share our successes AND failures, we all get smarter together, even if we can't share a meal.

Jim
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Hi Bigwalleye,

Thanks for the greeting. My first brisket was probably 97% I think I got spooked and pulled it a little early, but it sliced nice and tasted great. As they say in baseball "And the crowd goes wild" while everyone wolfed it down and commented many times. I think my next one will be spot on. (I hope)

I watched Scott's Brisket video and took some notes. He comments that Brisket is a nice cheap cut of meat, I think he say's around 2 dollars a pound. I went to the Winn Dixie, the butcher brought one from the back. I said, looks good I'll take it. He weighed it and slapped a label on it. I was STUNNED when I saw the price tag.... $65 dollars. WHAT? I thought maybe he hit the Filet Mignon Key instead of the Brisket key, but nope that was the price. 8 bucks a pound. It was first grade top shelf angus which could explain some of it. (Scott's video was shot a while back obviously)

Ahh well, live and learn, it did make for an excellent Easter weekend of good eating.

I've enjoyed reading and learning from many of your posts, you are clearly the Obi Wan Kenobi of the smokinTex forum I'll probably have many more questions for you and the gang as time goes by.

I hope you have a fantastic day BW,

Brian

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Yah, some folks here have taken to calling it an "investment brisket"!!!

Nice to hear about successes!!!!! Remember that each piece of meat will react differently to temp. Seems just when I think I've a time nailed for a particular cut, I'll have one hit the target temp two hours early or an hour late. Really wierd seeing two similar sized pork butts in the box together that an hour plus off apart in time...Sometimes on the top, and sometimes on the bottom...

It is done when it is done.

Congrats on the success, welcome to the family, and Feed the Addiction....
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Welcome to the family, Brian.

Sticker shock has become the norm, lately. Unfortunately the prediction is that prices will stay elevated for the next 2 - 3 years. Sad, now I save brisket for special occasions, where I previously threw 'em on at will.

Say hello to the pork butt!!!!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all