Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trimmed Brisket Recipe

(1) I get the 1/2 size steamer insert pans from Sam's Club....

Use the URL http://www.samsclub.com

Bakers & Chefs Aluminum Foil Steam Table Pans - Half Size - 30 ct. $6.44
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foil Pans.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	94

They also have a foil lid sold separately.
    Bakers & Chefs Aluminum Steam Table Foil Lids - Half Size - 30 ct. $5.48

Name:	Foil Pans lids.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	95

(2) Yes I set the temp 225-230 and check the tenderness of the brisket with a fork about every hour to hour & 1/2.. Plus I sneak a small slice to really test it...

I have owned or used (4) brands of smokers (9) different models) over the years. I have cooked 118 briskets to date, and I love my 1400.. it's well designed, easy to use, clean and maintain, and most important it is engineered to work with the love of smoking the right way.

I smoked (4) brisket flats yesterday... I was concerned that the cold temp in my garage would hurt my cooking times, and was I wrong.... I smoked and finished them in the same time as when i smoked in the warmer months.

The best part about the SmokinTex 1400 it is the right size and price for us, and the added bonus is that the team at SmokinTex are real, they are passionate about bringing a excellent product at a good price to the non commercial consumers.

Hope this answers your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by n5zbj View Post
    11/11/2011 9:21AM
    Reply to: “Trimmed Brisket Recipe “
    Trimmed Brisket is the best to use; I buy the “Flat” at my local wholesale club.
    I generally purchase 6-8 pound sizes …
    (1) I rinse the brisket off in cold water, and dry with a paper towel.

(2) I first rub the leaner side first.
    a. With French’s Yellow Mustard, and then use the Fiesta Brand “Brisket Rub” to completely coat that side.

(3) I then place the brisket fat side up on the cooking rack and repeat the same process.
    a. With French’s Yellow Mustard, and then use the Fiesta Brand “Brisket Rub” to completely coat that side.

(4) I line the bottom of my SmokinTex 1400 with foil and then foil the top of the chip lid. This make for much easier clean up.

(5) I the load the SmokinTex 1400 chip tray with Hickory & Pecan, plus I add 2-4 charcoal briquettes to help secure a nice smoke ring.

(6) I then load my cooking racks with already prepared Flats and I use the Maverick Dual Probe wireless Cooking Thermometer and insert them in to the thickest part of the largest flats and the anther in to the thicket part of the smallest flat. This way I can watch the temperature on the largest as well as the smallest to better judge the overall cooking time.

(7) I set my SmokinTex 1400 to 225-230 and when the internal temperature reaches 165-170 I then will place the Flats in to Aluminum 1/2 size steamer insert pans and cover with the to Aluminum 1/2 size steamer insert lids. (Also purchased at my local wholesale club) ….

(8) I close my SmokinTex 1400 door and in 2-3 hours remove the flats from the smoker and let rest for about 1 hour.

(9) Then end result if the best, moist, and tender brisket you will ever eat.

I own several other electric smokers, and have cooked many briskets on them. And it was a pain to figure out the right process. But when I first got the SmokinTex 1400 and after following the seasoning process, I then cooked my 100th – 104th briskets. And they all were the best I had ever cooked. All I had to do was prep, load, and lock, and the SmokinTex 1400 did the rest.

Thanks n5zbj, I am going to try it.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

Hi- I have a thermometer question. Can I keep this in the meat and run the cable out of the smoker through the vent hole up top? Otherwise I'll have to keep opening the door and loose heat. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

Hello Sclisrael,

In a word - yes.

Personally, I have a dual probe Maverick Digital thermometer that I really would be lost without. I also have another Maverick with a single thermocouple for displaying the interior temperature of my ST 1400 just to see what is actually going on minute to minute temperature wise. That makes 3 wires coming through the the smoke vent with absolutely zero problem.

Happy Smokin
    applejack

BillyBob-thanks for yuor post. Question about the thermometer. I have one with a braded cable-but it is not going to go through the door seal, wdyt about it coming out the smoke vent uptop?

Sclisrael....I have always run the probes through the hole in the top to keep from opening the door.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Don't be afraid to use the other probe as a seconday meat thermometer. If I'm running a big ol' butt, I've got extra space and I'll throw a couple fatties in besides, and use the "cabinet" probe in one of those to monitor the temp of the sausage, and it works great.

That's a great suggestion....

I have 2 maverick industries dual wireless thermometers and they give me great results, re-confirms the excellent temperature control of my SmokinTex 1400.

Thanks
    Bob

Update to My Trimmed Brisket Recipe

Here are some photo's of the completed Trimmed Brisket.

(1) When I get the bark look I want I then place the briskets into a 1/2 size steamer pan. This will allow the briskets to rest and continue to cook with out drying them out.

Name:	photo(13).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	113

(2) I then cook for 2-3 hour until semi-fork tender.

Name:	photo(11).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	114

(3) Semi-fork tender just right for slicing

Name:	photo(12).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	115

I hope you all enjoy smoking as much as I do....

Bob

Hello N5zbj

Brand new here. I just got the 1460 and trimmed brisket 8lbs and am doing my first smoke this weekend. Your instructions look great but I did have a question. with regard to line 7) You say 225-230 until the internal temp hit 165-170....I don't have a probed thermo yet, but I do have an instant read thermo. HOW LONG would you estimate this time frame to be? When you be a good time to open the door and check it HOURS WISE. I know this post was years old, but maybe someone is still around that can advise. Thanks much.

Brian