Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian bacon

Tried this recipe recently, smoked the bacon this past Sunday after 8 days of cure. The results were fantastic! My mistake: I only made 1/2 a loin as I didn't know how it would turn, out. Now, three days later, there is so little remaining that I have to make another one real soon!!

Great recipe and method!!

I've made this with wild hog backstraps. Awesome but it's necessary to wrap it in foil after it smokes to prevent drying out.

Wow. I'm in love. Great pics and detail.

Thank you for sharing.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Been doing this for a few years - started out using turbinado sugar ("Sugar In The Raw") and Tenderquick, but just switched over to maple sugar instead. Better taste in our opinion - smoked over hickory and maple wood. We take and chop some up, then cube up a couple of potatoes and fry them in butter and oil (don't move 'em around too much, let 'em get crispy), then add chopped onions and green peppers and the bacon. Heat until the onions get a little soft, then top with shredded chedder cheese and stick under the broiler for 2 -3 minutes until the cheese melts. now that's Sunday breakfast!

Finished my latest batch of cb this past weekend and sliced it last night. Great recipe - highly recommend. The two in the back are maple cured; front one is peppered. All are apple wood smoked. A must try for bacon lovers!!! Cheers to "billy b"for starting the thread with this recipe and to all who weighed in with tips. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB052112.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	171

billy b,

Thanks for your original posting and pictures. I just finished smoking and slicing my first attempt at making any cured meat of any kind. I kept my first attempt in the 'very cautious' range by curing a single loin. I am basically pleased with the result and know that it certainly will quickly disappear from the freezer.

Thanks again for your guidance.

applejack
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canadian bacon.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	176