Thread: power wattage

Default power wattage

I just purchased a 1400 and it says 700w but my plug I want to use is 660w Does anyone know if the smoker will work ok plugged into that?

Hello drbay,

I would never, never, ever plug a known 700W load from your ST 1400 into a maximum rated 660W receptacle. Using an overloaded electrical device is a recipe for disaster. The heating element WILL draw full rated current when it is turned on so if your receptacle is indeed only capable of handling a 660W load, then it will be in danger of failing - ie: melting or fire. Please talk with a qualified electrician.

Personally, I would want to use at least a 15A rated receptacle and power source for my smoker.

Best of luck.
    applejack
    Last edited by applejack; 07-11-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Default Thanks

Thanks applejack. The reason I ask is because I do not have outside power except for outside lights. They have things with a plug that I can screw into a light. Problem was everyone I can find is only 660w
    I guess I will just use a long coommercial extension cord.

Hi drbay,

You still might want to talk with an electrician just to see what the tab would be to install an adequate power receptacle for your smoker. It might not be as expensive as you think - hopefully not. It is just not wise to try to use a device that is not substantial enough to handle at least the known load and run a risk.

Best wishes,
    applejack